Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
Hello Everyone,
Well I have decided to purchase my 1st Apple notebook. now I need to decide on a Wireless Router. The Airport Extreme and D-Link DI-624 are my top choices and i am leaning towards the D-Link mostly due to the price $50 after a $20 mail-in rebate vs. the $199 AE(which i feel is very over priced compared to the rest of the Market). I mean there are Pros and cons the AE has Wireless Printing mean while the D-Link has more port and is much cheapers and would still be less than the AE with the Purchase of a separate print server. The D-Link has Super G 108mb/s but i don't think Super G is compatible with the AE card. anyway just wanted some opinions.

P.S. this will be my 1st wireless network and was wondering is there a major difference between a Wireless Access Point and a Wireless Router. all i am running is my iMac G4 which will be stay Wired and notebook wireless, maybe add a Wireless Palm in the future.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
I have the DI-624, used with Ti PB. It works without any problems. However, I had the wireless print server from D-Link and had to return it because it never printed a page, despite about a week of e-mails and discussions with the D-Link people. I would have already bought the Airport for the print server functions, except it is not compatible with my hp LaserJet 1012 according to the last time I checked on Apple. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.