AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by candychunk, Nov 21, 2007.

1. candychunk macrumors member

help! i cant connect to the internet at my place anymore! im at my school right now and it's working. my macbook's just a little over 2 weeks old and i was able to use the internet at home with this computer, it was working fine until the last couple of days... ive been looking for answers for hours and hours and cant get anything to help me....

my airport icon says i am connected but when i try to open the browser it says im not.... when i go to the network window, open TCP/IP and renew DHCP Lease, it still gives me the same number... i think it starts with 169. and i know that's not right... it says "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet." under status

ive restarted the router (connected to a desktop)
    ive unplugged it and the modems
    shut down macbook
    made it go to sleep
    woke it
    (not in order, different times)

my internet connection's att dsl, 2wire gateway

PLEASE HELP, INTERNET CONNECTION IS THE MAIN REASON WHY I GOT A LAPTOP... I WANNA BE ABLE TO USE IT WHEREVER I WANT, NOT JUST AT SCHOOL :(

PLEASE HELP ME STEP BY STEP AS IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH MACS

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I've had some of the same trouble, if you assign and ip to you laptop on your router that seemed to work for me, although my dad did it for my so I really don't know how to do it

3. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

:( that's what id like to get, an IP coz it just assigns one that doesnt work... i dont know what happened because it was working fine... i dont think i changed something in the setting

could you ask your dad? :eek: lol

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

well I basically know, go to your router on safari or firefox and log in (if you have to). Then you can find where all your ip addresses are listed, than there should be a way to assign new ip.

edit: Acually, try this first:

go to system preferences and go network, then go to DHCP, than click renew DHCP lease, what version of os x are you running?

5. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

im using leopard, i bought it the day after it was out... i tried that renewing DHCP lease, just refreshed it and gave me the same IP4v address

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

try doing what I said above and figure out what is using the ip address that your macbook wants to use, then, assign the ip to the thing thats using that ip. Once you reboot you macbook it should now find a different ip that's hopefully not being used.

hope this helps and let me know if you need any more help, as this may be confusing (hard to explain) :)

7. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

do which one "go to your router on safari or firefox and log in (if you have to). Then you can find where all your ip addresses are listed, than there should be a way to assign new ip."

what do you mean go to my router on a web browser? i dont get it... so ill open a browser and then what?

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

unless your router has some kind of program for maintenance or something, mine doesn't so if you go to your router which is usually 192.168.0.1

try that and let me know what happens (it should bring up some kind of log in screen)

9. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

go to my router? like type in that number that you posted on the url area?

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

yes

11. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

it doesnt work :(

well, brb... i need to go to class

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

well it won't work until your at home :eek:

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The problem you are having is that your router is not successfully handing your Mac an address, which it should do if the Mac is set for DHCP, and the router is set to provide DHCP.

Pull out the instruction manual for your router. Each brand uses a different default internal address. Seriously - this is a RT*M moment. Follow the router's instructions how to set up, and how to access the router's status and settings through the web browser (the 192.168.x.x address specific to your router.

Get an Ethernet cable and wire your Mac to the router, do not attempt to troubleshoot wirelessly.

Also, you may want to call your broadband provider. If they are having an issue, or if you have changed routers or modems or something, then they may have to reprovision your service from their end.

14. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

im at work right now... what should i do after if this worked?
    thanks canadaram, ill then try that if the above one didnt work

15. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

my macbook was connected when i used an ethernet cable, i got an IP and stuff, worked perfectly.... so what do i do now? i dont wanna be connected through a cable for the rest of my router's life... ive read somewhere to change some numbers in it? i tried to change some numbers but no luck... should i change just ONE digit or there's gotta be a specific one? should i change the subnet mask too? router?

technolover, i forgot that i already did that option, i entered that same number before and didnt do anything