Airport losing *all* signals, on/off/on/off, activity monitor shows "configid"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ellagrrl, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ellagrrl macrumors newbie

Hey all--
    I have a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo 13" Macbook 1 GB Ram running Tiger (10.4.11). I have been experiencing sharp increase in a phenomenon that has occurred now and then for the past couple of years--my airport/wifi status flickering on and off and on and off for 30 seconds to a minute.

It will drop any downloads, so it is truly losing the connection. During the 'off' flashes, airport fails to see ANY local routers, not just the one I'm on. This has happened on many different ISPs, router brands, locations, and times of day. I can't really identify any sort of relationship to programs/usage. Activity Monitor shows a small increase in the %CPU used by "ConfigId" right before the airport flashes off, almost every single time. I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

The problem used to be maybe once a month, so I ignored it. Over the past week or so, it has increased and increased, so that now its like a couple of times per hour. I've rebooted, reopened safari, opened internet connect, etc, and nothing has worked. Also, the length of the episodes have increased, as has the length of each 'off' flash.

Also over the past week, I seem to be having huge increases in CPU usage (80-90%) while using safari or firefox, and the fan is almost always running on high if i am using the internet at all. Obviously, data processing is slower as well.

I am worried that there is some sort of increasing hardware problem with my airport card, or something up with the CPU that is causing the airport card to overheat and shut off or something. I dread taking the comp to a Genius Bar, since I'm sure it will behave itself while its there....

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Jeez, I read these forums most days, I see that solution everywhere, I recommend it to people, and yet when I have issues I totally forget about them! Thankfully the issue has gone now but next time I'll make sure. Thanks for pointing out my stupidity. :p

4. ellagrrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Negatory, skywalker.... Also ran Onyx, also didn't do a darn thing...

Any other ideas?

Anyone had the same problem? If its just me, it makes me think even more that it might be an unstable wifi card connection...

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Then the airport card is probably on it's way out. They are only about $35 used and really easy to put in if you don't have applecare anymore.

6. taylorrael macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem. The thing that confused me is when I was on wireless at my school, I never had this problem. As soon as I use it at home though, I get it all of the time. Even if I use it at my grandmother's house, I never see it fickering off and on. It made me think it was just our router, but none of the other computers in our house have any issues with it when I'm having the issue. I also get it where it'll have a signal strength of about 4, yet nothing will work and all of the internet freezes up.