Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I know my Powerbook G4 maybe in ancient in terms of technology, but it's still gorgeous, and I've taken great care of it.

I'm a bit nervous about taking it on an upcoming vacation. I know security makes you place your notebook in a plastic bin to scan it. I'm scared of the bottom getting a scratch or something.

I figure with my iPhone I wouldn't *have* to take my notebook, but it would be nice to have it obviously.

What should I do? How likely would it be to get a scratch at security?

Thanks for your suggestions and experiences.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
set it in gently? it just goes a couple feet on the belt, you wont have a problem. my mom is a flight attendant and she takes her ibook through all the time. she sets it in, and she takes it out, the tsa's never have contact with it.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
What should I do? How likely would it be to get a scratch at security?

I recently flew overseas with my laptop, and I was a little worried about the security's gentleness, too. I'd say there is only a very, very small risk of your PowerBook getting scratched at security. As long as you keep it in a separate container, the only way they would even touch it is if it for some reason had to go back through the scanner. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the vacation.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Last time I flew, they asked me to open it up and turn it on, so show that it was a real laptop, but no one besides myself ever touched it.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Can you leave it in a case, or like a plastic bag or something so it doesn't even have to touch their yucky, slimy, weird conveyor thing? And apparently it doesn't fry hard drives...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Can you leave it in a case, or like a plastic bag or something so it doesn't even have to touch their yucky, slimy, weird conveyor thing? And apparently it doesn't fry hard drives...

They make you take the laptop and put it in a bin without anything else in it.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
It's really no more of a risk than handing it to one of your friends to hold for a few minutes... though even that might be stressful for some. ;)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
They make you take the laptop and put it in a bin without anything else in it.

You can't even stick it in a clear bag? Or a grocery bag or something?

It's really no more of a risk than handing it to one of your friends to hold for a few minutes... though even that might be stressful for some. ;)

Would be for me! Though I have OCD with symptoms that affect that sort of thing :D Get your slimy hands off my $2000 computer bub!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Heathrow airport let me keep the MBP inside its sleeve but all other airports I've travelled through recently ask that you remove the slip cover and place the laptop into a tray thing. It won't get scratched by a plastic bin! Just try to put it in yourself if you can; the stupid bitch at Gatwick airport was really rough with my stuff :rolleyes: :mad:

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Detroit Metro made me take it out and they whipped t down with a little cotton sab an the tested the swap in some machine.. I was cringing the whole time!

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
They give you plastic tubs and actually ask that you put the lappy in by itself.

It will be fine and won't scratch in the tub. It is very likely it will be touched by no one but yourself.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Detroit Metro made me take it out and they whipped t down with a little cotton sab an the tested the swap in some machine.. I was cringing the whole time!

What the hell? Seriously, what do they think they're accomplishing? Next they're going to be licking it.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Every time we have traveled (to San Francisco, New Orleans, Hartford and Nashville) I have just taken the MB out of its sleeve, put the sleeve in the tub and the MB on top of the sleeve. No problems at all.

DataThief

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Somewere in Washington State
What the hell? Seriously, what do they think they're accomplishing? Next they're going to be licking it.

What they are doing is testing for chemical residue, and matching the sample to various chemicals that might go boom.

Pain in the azz for me as I like to shoot (quite alot) and usually have residue on my hands which can get transfered to my gear, I try not to do any shooting a few days before flying, or I get the stand over there sir while we take apart everything you own.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Wouldn't someone actually trying to do something just clean the thing off and let it sit for a few days then?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
:rolleyes: Seriously? Isn't this bordering on over-paranoia? Getting scratched from setting it in the bin and letting it ride 6 feet?

Maybe try setting the sleeve in the bottom of the bin and the computer on top of it. Can't see anyone having a fit over that, but you never know.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
:rolleyes: Seriously? Isn't this bordering on over-paranoia? Getting scratched from setting it in the bin and letting it ride 6 feet?

Maybe try setting the sleeve in the bottom of the bin and the computer on top of it. Can't see anyone having a fit over that, but you never know.

What if the sleeve is made from MAGIC TEH TERRORIZT RAY BLOCKING MATERIAL!!!

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
Have you ever set your computer down on a table? That's what this is like. You put it in a bin. Set it down gently. Pick it up at the end of the line.

(I'm all for taking care of your posessions, but I'd be OK with putting a BABY in a plastic bin and letting it move a few feet. Hell, I'd do it myself, as long as the bin was big enough for me to fit in.)

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
your baby will be just fine, have anyone notice that the bins are too small to fit the powerbooks??

ccc123

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007

I would worry more about what happens AFTER security. You have to stow away your laptop for taxing, takeoff and landings. Nothing like having some schmuck try to fit a oversized suitcase on top of your laptop bag in the over head bins OR worse if there is no room in the overhead bin, you have to put it under the seat. Never fails that I get the 6’ 11” guy with the big legs putting his dirty shoes on my bag. :eek:
If I know I will be working in flight, I take my laptop out of my bag and put it in the magazine holder in the seatback in front of me. But, if you are worried about a plastic bin scratching your baby…..

What they are doing is testing for chemical residue, and matching the sample to various chemicals that might go boom.

Pain in the azz for me as I like to shoot (quite alot) and usually have residue on my hands which can get transfered to my gear, I try not to do any shooting a few days before flying, or I get the stand over there sir while we take apart everything you own.

Yes, I have travelled with a cardiologist for a meeting. He was detained and missed his flight because the day before he was helping one of his patients with a nitro-glycerine ointment and the doc transferred some residue onto the laptop. Luckily, I was in a different security line and didn’t have to answer the awkward question from the security folks “Sir, are you travelling with this gentleman?” :eek:

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I would worry more about what happens AFTER security. You have to stow away your laptop for taxing, takeoff and landings. Nothing like having some schmuck try to fit a oversized suitcase on top of your laptop bag in the over head bins OR worse if there is no room in the overhead bin, you have to put it under the seat. Never fails that I get the 6’ 11” guy with the big legs putting his dirty shoes on my bag. :eek:
If I know I will be working in flight, I take my laptop out of my bag and put it in the magazine holder in the seatback in front of me. But, if you are worried about a plastic bin scratching your baby…..

Can you at least just HOLD THE BAG it's in?!? Geez, this is all totally nuts.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
If you put it on the fold-out tray, you could buy a no-slip pad to rest it on.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
If it really bothers you that much, try sliding it through in a sleeve if you have one. Neoprene type is ideal. If they ask you to remove it from the sleeve, do so, and place the sleeve in the bottom of the bin and rest the macbook on top of it. Then it only comes in contact with the cushy sleeve of your choice, and not the grimy potentially bottom-scratching plastic bin.

Though, in all seriousness, I don't think putting it in a plastic tub and sliding it 4 feet down a motorized conveyor belt at .0015 mph will really do a whole lot of harm.

ccc123

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
Can you at least just HOLD THE BAG it's in?!? Geez, this is all totally nuts.

I have gotten away with holding the laptop while taxing and takeoff. But, that depends on the cabin crew as I have also been asked to put it away until in flight. Interesting thing is that you can read a big hardcover book while taxing/taking off/landing, and no one will say anything…but most insist that you “secure” your laptop. My business laptop is a Dell latitude 410 and I have seen books that are bigger and/or weigh more than it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.