Airport security vs. Reality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 15, 2008.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I read this article from the Atlantic, and I must say I am pretty pissed at our Gov. efforts to "keep us safe" at the airport. I am more pissed that I (and everyone else) is subjected to such inconvenience for no good cause. I am also pissed that we are wasting a ton of taxpayer money.

Read the article:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security

Thoughts?

Solutions?

Personal anecdotes/rants?

2. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I really hate people who work at the airport. It makes me feel good that they don't make much money. This is my conspiracy theory. The reason you cant bring drinks and other liquids behind airport security is because they want you to buy soda for $5 a bottle behind security.
    Think about it, who's to say the soda they sell behind security is safe? Do they do checks on every thing they sell behind security? I don't think so.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just to add to this are Patrick Smith's excellent columns over at Salon in a series called Ask the Pilot. The most recent one is relevant:

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/11/14/askthepilot298/

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/11/07/askthepilot297/index.html

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

BV,

I am reminded of a story told to me (it could've been here) of a pilot stopped by airline security.

He had some toe-nail clippers on his person. The TSA official said he would have to confiscate them. "OK" said the pilot. Then the pilot leaned in to the TSA employee and said " You know, I am the PILOT. I sit in the cockpit and fly the aircraft. If I wanted to take down a plane, I wouldn't need those clippers - I would just fly it into the ground."
    The TSA employee looked non-plussed. The pilot then leaned back over and said: "To really blow your mind - you know what we have in the cockpit? An axe."
    He then walked on to his gate with a smile.

Always found that story both hilarious and depressing.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:D

I haven't flown for a long time... since way before 9/11. From what I read and hear from people, it doesn't sound like much fun any more. Last time I went out to Heathrow to see a family member off on an international flight, it was a three hour check-in. Madness.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Drones are drones. Nothing more, nothing less.

They are incapable of independent thought.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yeah, they DO check the packages the come into the stores about as much as they check the passengers.

I do agree that it's useless though, only catering to those scared American's and their fat over stuffed egos. Beyond the plastic knifes that can make it through security, the TSA allows passengers to carry knitting needles, even the thick ones through no problem.

Extreme waste of tax payer money and another reason we didn't need 4 more years of Bush in office.

It doesn't take 3 hours, but I don't like the hassle and taking off my shoes.

If the country needs to feel safe, it should start by taking care of the violence happening in it's own boarders.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

as mentioned in the article, what is ironic is that if a terrorist wanted to really make a point and kill a lot of people, he should strap a few lbs. of C4 to himself and pull the trigger in the airport security line, which before you get to the detectors is completely unsecured.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That, and the many other places in America that have you waiting in line with a bunch of other people with absolutely no security. Like mass transit, and amusement park lines.

A good deal of wealthy/well off Americans are obsessed with this false sense of security. Telling them the truth would really scare the $h!t out of them.

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I have to confess, I think about situations like that all the time I'm in a major line/crowd.

11. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Plastic knifes? This summer my family went to Europe and on the way back it wasn't until we had flown through Zurich, Amsterdam and Minneapolis that we realized we had 3 swiss army knives in my moms purse. 3!! This is after going through about 5 sets of security checkpoints.

Back to the main topic though, they can try and make it a secure as they want, but if somebody really want's through, they'll get through. It's just to reassure people and calm them down. You know how airports are.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Exactly, its like them doing the safety video and preventing you from using electronics during take off/landing.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you might want to go back and check your history a little on why they stop allowing drinks though. One group planned on bring in liquid explosives on to the plane or did get them onto a plane so they banned liquids going though. I honestly find it stupid.

The shoe thing you can blame that on some guy in Eurpope trying to blow up a plan with explosives he hide in he shoe.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I wonder how that axe got past TSA insecurity? Where can I sign up for a job like that? :rolleyes:

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I did a lot of flying right after 9/11, and truth be told it was a total nightmare. I actually refuse to fly into the US anymore; I'll sooner rent a car and then fly domestically (if the latter would work). I haven't flown since 2006, but I can't imagine it's any better.

With all the countless hours I spent in one line or another, I've devised dozens of ways to improvise weapons or smuggle them through security. I also once accidentally brought some brand new scalpels in my carry on and onto the plane (graphic design supplies) and wasn't stopped. Ironically, I believe it was the same flight where my companion had her spiked bracelet [see image] confiscated.

[​IMG]

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You're not the only one, and as per a link I posted awhile ago, it's been really hurting our tourism.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Of course it's stupid. Current TSA regulations allow liquids stored in three ounce containers. ...If I needed nine ounces of liquid explosive, I could just carry it on in 3 three-ounce containers.

Let's not forget that cigarette lighters, of all items, are allowed on board. :confused: Meanwhile, snow globes are unequivocally verboten! I just don't get it.

No wonder voters passed Prop 1A in California to construct a high speed train system. We've had it.