Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadExample

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Hello...
This is my first post, and I need some help; just to clarify a few questions:
I own a PBG4 and while at College, I used Airport, and I was wondering if I get a base here at home, and if I can rout the cable modem at my house into it, then to the PC Desktop at home, and have it wll work so that I can browse wirelessly as well as wired on the regular windoze machine.....
I am asking this because I used someone else's base while at school, and I want to know if I can use the cable modem I have here wirelessly as well as keeping the family computer hooked up and working as well...

Thanks for any clarifications and help you may have...:)

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I think that...

I am pretty sure that first you need an X Router to go into the Airport. Correct me if I am wrong, but X Routers have ethernet ports on them, so that would be able to hook up to your PC.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
The new Airport base station comes with a WAN uplink and a LAN port for output to another computer or router/switch:
http://www.apple.com/airport/specs.html

Rower- So than he can hook it up to a seperate computer, and have it wireless?

BadExample- An X Router is a little box, with 4 ports in the back that will connect all your computers. Your Cable will run into the box, and be distributed over your house network.

You can save yourself some money, and get a Wireless X Router from Linksys, and it will pretty much work the same as an Airport, but it will save you about 100 dollars.

BadExample

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Rower CPU Macaztec--
Thanks for the help but now I am somewhat confused;
Do i need a different Wireless X router? or the new Airport Base 2 can handle what I need?

I am hearing two different things...

Thanks again, I am an idiot

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by BadExample
Rower CPU Macaztec--
Thanks for the help but now I am somewhat confused;
Do i need a different Wireless X router? or the new Airport Base 2 can handle what I need?

I am hearing two different things...

Thanks again, I am an idiot

'Aztec and BadExample-

The Airport Base Station 2 can both serve as a wireless access point (WAP) and a router to another machine.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Bad...

Well, if Rower-CPU is correct, I think you can buy an AIRPORT, without an XRouter, and do what you want to do.

But if the Airport can't do it, or you just want to save yourself 100 bucks, do this:

Buy a Linksys Wireless Router. It comes with 4 PORTS in the back, which enables you to hook up 4 wired computers. It is also wireless, for your laptop!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Bad...

Originally posted by MacAztec
...But if the Airport can't do it, or you just want to save yourself 100 bucks, do this:

Buy a Linksys Wireless Router. It comes with 4 PORTS in the back, which enables you to hook up 4 wired computers. It is also wireless, for your laptop!

That's a definite second option...but it won't be as easy to setup as the Airport...
:)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
all you need is a base station

Ok boils and goulies....

I have a DSL modem connecting to my (new) Airport base station via the WAN port. I then have the LAN port connecting to my network switch. I do that because I have more then one LAN device to connect to it. If I had just one, I would not need the switch in the mix.

When you configure the base station, have it act as a DHCP server, giving out IP addresses to all systems and you won't need any extra routers/hardware.

I do go wireless through my new TiBook's Airport card, wired through the game pc, and also print from both to my networked printer (Epson C80N).

Any questions???

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
AlphaTech - How'd you get the printer networked? Right now I'm using one printer for the Macs on the network and another for the PC's.

BadExample - Save yourself a heck of trouble and buy the new Airport base station. I started out with the Linksys wireless router, and it's a POS. I had no small amount of trouble getting it to play nice with more than one Mac. Configuration with it, from what I've read, is either simple or hellish - for me it was hellish. With the Airport, it's just simple. :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by cleo
AlphaTech - How'd you get the printer networked? Right now I'm using one printer for the Macs on the network and another for the PC's.

The Epson C80N comes with an external print server (attaches to the C80's parallel port). Considering how I purchased the C80 first, then the print server later, it's a snap. Just connect the external print server to the printer, plug in a Cat 5 line, and the power block to it. Make sure the network line is on your net (I know, just making sure). It does most of it for you. For the Mac, I'd download the latest drivers from Epson, and that is about all. For the pc, you might need to do a little more, but not much. I didn't even need to read the manual that came with the server, but you might want to.

I have my printer connected to my network switch (Netgear, 8 port 10/100) and have it grabbing an IP from my base station. I have had it that way for months, without any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.