Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomtopper

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
UK Huddersfield
I just got my airport extreme cards today and installed them fine. I have networked them but the signal is stupidly low. I am only a couple of feet from the machine i am connecting to and i only have 1 or 2 notches on my airport meter.
Will a airport basestation improve my signal becuase i am thinking of buying one of them. Also when i was installing the lead in my g5 there was 2 arial leads inside. One is the same as the one in my powerbook and the other is something else?
Also it says in my powermac g5 manual that i should attach an arial to the back of my g5, but i have lost this arial. If anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated!!!!!!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yeah, you absolutely need the extension antenna for the G5. Without it, you're screwed for signal strength because the aluminum case blocks it. You should be able to buy a new one cheaply from a local Apple Store or online. Call Apple support and ask.

And, in case you're not sure what the G5 antenna looks like - it's 'T' shaped, about two inches tall (base of the 'T') and an inch and a half wide (top of the 'T') and maybe a quarter inch thick, with a rubberized treatment. I mention this in case you haven't actually lost it but aren't sure what to look for.

qubex

macrumors 6502
The "other" aerial you write of is the Bluetooth aerial. It serves a similar function as the Airport one, since the G5's gounded aluminium case serves as a very effective Farady cage (blocking most electromagnetic signals from emanating out, or penetrating into, the interior space of the case).

Side note: somebody mentioned to me that having the metal case helped Apple's FCC submission, though that may well be an urban legend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.