Resolved Airport slot on the 1.8Ghz Power Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jessica Lares, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Jessica Lares, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm trying to install an Airport card on my 1.8Ghz Power Mac. The problem is that I think I know where it is, but the wiring for the top is so neatly stuffed in a corner (like it's never been used) that I can't pull it out to connect.

All the guides are for the newer Power Macs and not the first generation of them. So if someone could help me by posting diagrams that actually relate to my model, that'd be great.

Thank you.

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Airport card

The card is airport extreme. There should be 2 sets of wires. One for Bluetooth and a single that plugs into the card. Shoulb be middle left right below the fan with the speaker that blows air across video card area.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This is the inside...

Attached Files:

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

This a copy of the Apple service manual page for a June 2004 1.8 single processor. I assume yours is a June 2003.

Can you see anything just above the RAM slots?

Attached Files:

5. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ok, so I did find it after all.

The problem I'm having now is that the cords seem to be hanging in an enclosure and I can't pull them out. There was never a card to begin with.

I'll take a picture first thing in the morning.

6. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Okay, got the card in. Still having trouble with the cables though. Here they are...

Attached Files:

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Just use flat screwdriver to release cable clip. AP cable it's one with bigger plug.

8. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

How would I do that? Pretty snug in there. Just stick it at the bottom and press down or something?

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Rather slide screwdriver's blade between clip "arms" and try to turn it left or right (gently ofc).

10. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Wow, what an adventure!

Managed to get the clip off, took a few pushes, but then I saw it open its little arms and knew I was getting closer, so pulled out the wires gently as I held the clip open.

Then it took me a bit to get the card itself to snap into the motherboard. But then it finally made this huge snapping noise, so knew I had finally done it.

And then I accidently turned the thing on without putting the fan and covers back in. :eek: Never again. It was LOUD!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help. Currently sitting here, connected wirelessly, typing this message. :D Was worth struggling for as it works beautifully.