AirPort Software Base Station Question

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Is the "AirPort Software Base Station" software come out yet? Because read the last sentence on this website (on Apple's site) http://www.apple.com/airport/swbase/

I just want to know, oh and does the software base station work on the older cards? And are the older cards as fast as the new ones? Thanks!:D ;) :rolleyes:

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Oh...

Ok, now if I only knew if there was a difference between the old AirPort cards and the new ones.....hhhhmmmmmm

LIKE MY NEW SIGNITURE?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
As far as I am aware there is not a difference between the original and the current cards.

What do you think of my quote signiture? I bet most people can't guess where it is from.

Ensign

Dr_Floyd

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
the older cards can be updated by installing the latest airport software. The difference is in the encryption.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Anyone have any idea on the range you can get using the SW basestation? Is it as good as using a hardware basestation?

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Range

From experience here at home with an iBook/600, PowerBook Pismo, and a PM G4(The SWBase Station), the range is decent enough to cover a 2-story house with about 2000 square feet. I don't think you'll get near the range of the ABS, but it is plenty good for a home or small office I think. Just my 2¢.

Gus

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Whoops

I forgot to mention that the PowerMac MUST be in OS 9 to run SWBase Station right now. Hopefully OS X 10.2 will change this.

Gus

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Apparently it is not well known that you can configure a powermac as a sw base station in os 10.1, but you can do it. I use it in my house. Search this site for more info. You will find a thread describing how to do it.

Please dont respond telling me you cant do it. If you dont know how after reading the thread on this site, please ask.