AirPort Time Capsule an upgrade when I already have an Motorola SBG6580? (TWC)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mikeyswen79, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mikeyswen79 macrumors member

Mikeyswen79

So I'm really getting sucked into the Apple-verse now by getting into peripherals.

I have a few questions:
    1. Is the AirPort Time Capsule (APTC) basically the AirPort Extreme with Time Machine or is there something else to it I'm missing?

2. How well does APTC do with Time Warner Cable as an ISP? I had a previous modem and router nightmare with them that could only be resolved by buying the Motorola SBG6580, which is basically a hybrid modem/router in one box. I'd be willing to use AirPort Time Capsule as my router with the SBG6580.

3. I'm confident Apple devices would have absolutely no problem connecting to APTC, but I'm just curious if other devices (Android smart phones, Windows laptops) have trouble connecting to this? I wouldn't care anyways since I have only Apple devices, but I want my guests to be happy too!

Thanks in advance!

2. FreakinEurekan, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The Time Capsule is an AirPort Extreme with a built-in disk for Time Machine, correct. You could get similar function from an AirPort Extreme plus a USB disk, but for the price difference the TC is a good solution.

Compared to your Motorola, the current Extreme would add 802.11ac wireless, which Macs only support on the 2013 models so far - but it's also a very good 802.11n base station for everything else. No problems with other brands of hardware; you can even turn on a Guest Network in the TC.

To use with your SBG6580 - either turn off just WiFi in the Motorola and put the TC in Bridge Mode (the Motorola is still your router) - or turn off both WiFi and routing in the Motorola, and use the TC as your router. No overwhelming benefit between those two strategies; I'd use the TC as the router so you can use AirPort Utility for config rather than the Motorola's web interface.

edit: One benefit of leaving the Motorola as the router is that you'll still be able to use the Motorola's other 3 LAN Ethernet ports - you get three with the TC, so if you need more than three & don't have a switch, that's something to consider.

3. ColdCase, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

In August, after struggling with TWC provided equipment (slow, unreliable connections) we replaced them with a SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and a time capsule and found excellent results. This is a fairly common set up. Just sayin the TC will work very well with TWC as an ISP. So would an AEBS.

Typically the routers built into the combo cable modem/routers are severely lacking in features and performance. When I was shopping in August I found several reviews on the more technical sites like dslreports of the 6580 router performance. Most there recommended a performance cable modem and a separate router, all things considered, especially if you want wireless connections.

As a modem, your 6580 is fine. Now that you own one, I'd bypass the 6580 router and wireless features and use the TC to pick up the routing/wireless function. But its your choice. You can keep your current modem/router configuration and just add a TC to your existing network, either via ethernet cable or wirelessly.