Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I ordered a refurbished AirPort Time Capsule this morning. It should be here by the end of next week. Is there anything special that I should know or do or is it pretty self explanatory and fairly easy to set up/use?

I'm looking forward to this. I'll finally have all of my pics backed up in one location. Actually, I have a question about that. I probably have at least 400GB worth of pictures. I don't want them to eat up half of my Mac Mini's hard drive. I know the Mini will automatically backup to the Time Capsule. If pictures are backed up to that and then I delete them from the Mac Mini, will they stay on the Time Capsule?

Thanks!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
We have LaCie 2Big 6TB units that house our libraries of photos, music, and documents. The external libraries, plus the internal SSDS, are all backed up on Time Capsule. We are talking multiple TB of data.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I currently have them spread out across a few different computers and a ext drive . I'd like to have them all in one location on an Apple product but there will always be an additional backup some where.

I had to replace my old external drive a few years ago. It was on the floor and when I got up to walk away, I tripped over it while it was spinning. Never worked again. I'm glad that I still had all of the computers that the pictures came from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.