AirPort trouble: There was an error joining the AirPort network "6106 1561"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stevenup7002, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Stevenup7002 macrumors member

Hi, I got a new macbook today, set it up and it worked perfect, I went on the internet, it was all set up for me, it all just worked. My sister asked me why she couldn't connect to the net, I didn't know, it was working for me 2 minutes ago, I checked it on my MB and it wasn't working there either, I restarted the router and then it worked on my sisters 3 year old dell laptop, it wasn't working on mine, I went into network diagnostics and now its asking me for a WEP password, I have never needed a password for my router before, it won't let me through without one.

Please help me, I'm really upset about this.

-Steven :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There, there. You'll be okay.

Can you reconnect to the router after it has been restarted and before your sister connects?

3. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

Have you tried linking to the router manually (with an ethernet cord) and going to your router management panel (I don't know what the real term for that is, but type in 192.168.0.1 in your address bar and that should take you to it)? You should be able to manage the password settings there.

4. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried alot of stuff and it still wont connect. Its a netopia 3347W. I updated the airport extreme thing and still nothing. The airport icon is greyed out in the system bar or whatever its called. I can't recconect no matter how much I restart. I have tried changing the settings in 192.168.1.254 but still nothing.

5. Klian macrumors newbie

It looks like that is a router problem not the macbook.

Have you tried with another router ? Maybe a friend can lend you one.

6. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I can connect to other wlan networks, it's just my netopia that's not working. i reset my router to the factory settings, and it still wont work, I am running a windows webserver which needs to be on all the time, can I do somthing with the server for my macbook to connect to??

Thanks,
    -Steven

Please, I really urgently need help on this, my LAN cable is not a magsafe, and a few people have already tripped over it...

I reinstalled OS X but still nothing.. I don't understand, it worked perfectly up until my sister couldn't connect.

Come on, anyone with any problems with AirPort find a fix for it, I can't stand using cables. I need to use my macbook in other places around the house. :(

Very strange, it just suddenly fixed itself. :p

Ok, now I'm really pissed, it has stopped connecting again. The exact same problem, after my macbook woke up, it stopped connecting. Any ideas?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, have you tried another router? If you're able to connect to all other wireless networks then it's a pretty good sign the problem might not be with the Mac itself, especially if your sister has been having troubles too.

8. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

It works with every other router I have tried, I drove to an apartment block in Dublin and I could connect to all the unsecured networks perfectly, my father has the exact same router in his house, I can connect to that perfectly. It's very strange, everyone else can connect perfectly. Whats wrong with my macbook??

-Steven :(

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, I really don't think it's your MacBook considering you can connect to all but this one router, and your sister is having troubles with it too. Irrespective of whether your Dad's similarly-branded router is working, I think your router is dead. Buy a new one.

10. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

No everyone else can connect to the router, end of, my macbook just suddenly stopped connecting.

11. fcummins macrumors newbie

You are not alone. The netopia 3347w router from eircom just doesn't work with new macBooks. Had the same problem with a macBookPro, which resolved itself after the last airport update. Still have it with a new macBook though, although two older mac laptops and one desktop can connect just fine. Apple are being less than helpful about this. I believe they are aware of the problem, but not talking about it. *grinds teeth slowly*

12. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone found a fix for this? I really hate my mac because of this now.

Im thinking leopard might solve this stupid problem, I wish the dl would finish :)

13. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I have to report, it's working just fine with leopard, at least I hope so, now I can enjoy my mac ^^ :D