Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple posted a Mac OS X Software Update for Airport:

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software.

This software includes the latest version of the AirPort Extreme Base Station firmware - v5.0.4. Instructions for updating the base station firmware can be found in AirPort Help.

This update is recommended for all customers with French AirPort Extreme Base Stations or if your AirPort Extreme Base Station stops responding after being on a busy Ethernet Network.

Article Link: AirPort v3.0.4

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Another update, downloading 5.4mb.

Does this change anything in old Airports (Snow, Graphite)?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Sounds like you should download it if you're in France.

As for wireless base stations, our district went with Orinoco; they're cheaper, better, faster. AirPort is still good for home and "hole filling", but we just couldn't justify the price anymore, at least in our education market.:(

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
mine says it's 5.8 MB... :confused:

Oh, sorry, 5.8mb here.
Maybe I need glasses...

In terms of the AirPort and other things, when it got bumbed up to 58Mps (I think) that means that it can stream video and audio easily to HiFi Stereo Systems and television sets.

We all know that Philips is joining with Apple to make Rendezvous compatible components, so there is a sure chance that there will be a home audio/video intergration.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MrMacman
Shadowfax, bit sizes expand and get smaller depending on the drive you install it on.

Think about a sponge.

Updates are always good. :D
Originally posted by Wardofsky
Oh, sorry, 5.8mb here.
Maybe I need glasses...
i'll take the "my eyes are bad" argument over "apple is using fuzzy math!" any day :D

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by boskie
could this update be leading up to the new communicating device or possibly in preperation for rendevouz itunes?
No. Rendezvous should work just fine on any bridged network.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i'll take the "my eyes are bad" argument over "apple is using fuzzy math!" any day :D

My argumentative skills are so over-reated these days.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Thank God!

Thank got they fixed the stop responding thing!!!! I was having to hard reset the one we have in the office every freckin day. When I called Apple Care they had me exchange it for another one. The exchange did NOT solve the problem. After that, I got in the habit of having my lay-girl reset it when she comes to work every morning. She will be VERY happy!

Thanks for the love Apple!:p

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Thank God!

Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
After that, I got in the habit of having my lay-girl reset it when she comes to work every morning. She will be VERY happy!

What's a "lay-girl" and where do i get one?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
AE signal problems

Geez, I just installed this and within a half hour had the signal drop out on me. It came back within a few minutes on its own, but it seems like this has been happening since the 10.2.4 update. Weird, but logging out and back in usually fixes it. Anyone else having this kind of problem, and any suggestions?

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Re: Thank God!

Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
Thank got they fixed the stop responding thing!!!! I was having to hard reset the one we have in the office every freckin day. When I called Apple Care they had me exchange it for another one. The exchange did NOT solve the problem. After that, I got in the habit of having my lay-girl reset it when she comes to work every morning. She will be VERY happy!

Thanks for the love Apple!:p

well... did you test the firmware upgrade yet? i did it and i still have to reset my extreme BS every 6-8 hours ... hmmm ...sucks a bit! so please apple, send me another upgrade pleaaase ... still no workin':confused:

berlinm

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2003
Re: AE signal problems

Originally posted by mactastic
Geez, I just installed this and within a half hour had the signal drop out on me. It came back within a few minutes on its own, but it seems like this has been happening since the 10.2.4 update. Weird, but logging out and back in usually fixes it. Anyone else having this kind of problem, and any suggestions?

I installed it with my extreme BS and it was pretty shotty for about a half hour. Then the signal came back and hasn't failed me yet. *knocks on wood* Weird, but haven't had any problems. Not exactly sure what the advantage over the last BS update is though...:confused:

sandro

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2002
San Francisco
Re: AE signal problems

Originally posted by mactastic

Well I don't know if this helps or not, but I have experience some signal loss aswell, but I quickly found out that my Panasonic Cordless Phone 2.4 Ghz was the problem, as soon as I changed the channel on my phone, the problem went away immediately, maybe someone in the house uses a cordless phone, or may even be a close neighbor using one, specially if the wall are thin like they are here in San Francisco, all these houses are right next to eachother. Also try changing the channel on your Airport base via your Airport Admin Utility. That's it, hope it helps! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.