Airport Wireless keeps disconnecting?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jay-Producer, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Jay-Producer macrumors newbie

I have had this problem for 1 year now and it is really annoying me. I cant stay on the internet for longer than 5-mins at a time. This is not an exaggeration.

I thought at first there is interference from my cordeless phone. So I switch it off but that doesn't help. Then I thought it was perhaps my Sky box or TV - again neither helps by switching them off. Then I thought it was my mobile, again that didn't help?

Any ideas?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

What kind of wireless router do you have? At the time I had an Airport Extreme and I changed the channel from "Automatic" to an actual channel number (I think I picked 5).
    Also something else I learned at the Apple Store the other day because I was having issues with mine. Under "Network Preferences" Change the Location at the top from "Automatic" to "Default". I hope this helps.

3. Jay-Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

Netgear from Sky

Its already set to a location but not a single number: it has the date on it instead.

When I go to network preferences and under 'location' it will allow me to add one but I haven't a clue what to put. i.e. I dont have the option of choosing any number.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Under the Network Preferences you change the word from Automatic to default. For the router I think you need to go under Safari and type in the address bar "192.19XXXX" in the address bar (I can't rememeber off hand what the IP address is for Netgear) and you can change the channel in there someplace.

5. Jay-Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, ill give that a go tomorrow and let you know how I got on. I obtained the IP address no problem. Will call crappy Sky customer service team to find out the password to get into the settings.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Normally the sign on name is "admin" and the password is "password" by default.

7. Jay-Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the password from sky, pretty simple.

Changed to channel 11. I was already on 6. I also changed my network to 'default'.

I'll see how I get on with that.