Airport X Base Station:No internet: Can i still use it for iTunes DJ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lemonademaker, Dec 20, 2009.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    My Home Setup (works great):AE Base Station, MBP, Airport Extreme plugged into some speakers, I can Control my iTunes music remotely with my iPod Touch with remote app....

I'd like to "dj" a friends New Years Eve party with same setup, BUT MINUS THE INTERNET......

I did a dry run (disconnected cable modem)and it doesn't seem that my MBP will connect to my Base Station without it being connected to my cable modem/internet? is there an easy workaround so i can use my iPod touch remote app to control my MBP iTunes?

thanks
    LM

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Is it the modem that is handing out DHCP addresses?

If so, you will need to enable the DHCP feature on the AEBS.

3. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

yes,

do i enable DHCP when i "hardwire" the AEBS to my MBP?

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yes, just make sure the modem is disconnected otherwise you might get conflicts.

Also, on your MBP you may need to go into Network Prefs and renew your address

5. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

will I have to do this every time i do this type of thing?
    I can figure it out, i'm just glad it is possible.....

thanks for the tips....

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You can either do this everytime or leave it switched on on the AEBS and disable DHCP on the modem.

Make sure you give the modem an address so that you can still get to the Internet. Set it statically on the device and exclude it from the DHCP scope.

7. aresinferno macrumors regular

So you plan to take all this stuff and move it elsewhere that won't have a modem?
    I don't see why it won't work without it though. You could try creating a network with the Mac and then connecting the iPod Touch and Express to that and see if that works? You wouldn't need to move the AEBS then. I know that you can create a network with the Mac and allow the iPod Touch to control iTunes with the remote that way. I see no reason why the Express couldn't connect to that and allow you to use the speakers wireless, or if you had to you could plug the Mac in to the Speakers and forget the Express.

8. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

(trial and error + tickering with it) i have know idea what i did, but got a network set up between my MBP and a airport express plugged into a set of speakers and can control my MBP with the "remote app" on my touch....

left the base station out of the loop!! LOL...