AirPower to Launch in 'Late March' According to DigiTimes Sources

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I have this hope that this pad has some sort of unique features or connections to iOS devices :/ .... or maybe it's just a charging pad.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I’ll buy it if it’s the equivalent of 3 chargers in price I bought. That mophie one I got ass like $50. So $150 is my magic number
I'd rather have multiple chargers in different rooms if I had to pay the same amount of money.
I think AirPower is great if you travel frequently, as you can bring a single charging device for your iPhone, Watch and AirPods and don't even need a cable.
At home I think it is convenient to have a single place to charge the Watch and the iPhone and I don't have one, I just have a charger for the Watch with USB ports so I can charge multiple devices but still need a cable. I don't know if AirPower is the best product though, as I like my Watch in nightstand mode, not laying flat on a pad.
Finally, AirPods. If I want to charge them wirelessly I need to spend more money, and I only need to charge the case twice a week so I can easily do it at office with one of the cables attached to my Mac.
That's why I'd buy it only if it costed less than $100, and I wonder if it would be possibile to charge two iPhones at the same time, so I could put my Xs and my wife's 8 together with the Watch

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It's going to be rather anticlimactic, after all this water under the bridge, when a customer finally gets one in their hands: This is... uh... a battery charger. Not too exciting.
To be fair, it isn't Apple that's been continuously bringing it up for months, it's the rumor sites which are giving us the rumors we all choose to read. And this is why Apple mostly doesn't pre-announce things months in advance, because when they do, sometimes something goes wrong.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Macrumors just doesn't want to give up with this particular product. LOL! Apple has no intention of releasing this product, yet MR will keep giving this particular accessory the news time. Ridiculous!
But you're aware of the definition of "rumors", right? And maybe Apple won't release the product (although it would be odd with the trademarks work etc) but your post may not age well in the coming weeks.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
They should make the base of the iMac Airpower - that would solve so many problems in one go.
Nah, I think Apple is going to make the base of the iMac an Energous Watt Up 2.0 transmitter at some point in the near future since it's finally more than just a pipe dream. The Energous-Dialog-Apple relationship has been rumored for quite some time. Near field and mid-field transmitters embedded in different appliances is going to be a thing and I bet Apple is going to do it. They already have patents filed. Although, if Energous' marketing video has any truth to it, expect Amazon to drop this tech first.

Reactions: BigHonkingDeal

jscooper22

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Until you don't have to keep it on a pad, it's not wireless charging. That I need to pick up my phone to look at it to wake it, but I need to keep it flat on the table to charge it, seem to be at odds with each other somehow.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Until you don't have to keep it on a pad, it's not wireless charging. That I need to pick up my phone to look at it to wake it, but I need to keep it flat on the table to charge it, seem to be at odds with each other somehow.
Yes, convenience vs usage at odds with one another. More convenience and less usage vs the charging cable, which is less convenience and more usage. You get to choose.

MVMNT

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Surely it's a record for how many times the same image can be used in a week on a single peripheral?

This one:

Reactions: Pirate!

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
In other words, 99% of Apple customers do not follow announcement events? I know they've gotten boring as of late, but ouch :p
I think Apple could have Eddy Cue come out juggling the world’s first folding phone—the Royole Flexpal or whatever it was called—along with the Galaxy Fold and the Huawei Mate X... while on fire... in a circular pattern (the hard way, not the easy left/right crossover pattern) and still not draw more than 50 million. That would be comprised of maybe:
  • 10-15 million that are the 1% of Apple customers that are hardcore fans, including maybe a million(?) from MacRumors;
  • another 10-15 million Huawei fans and employees ordered by the Chinese government to watch to be sure they wouldn’t miss any technology they could possibly steal (and claim their reward for); and
  • 20 million insecure Samsung fans watching to see just how slow their S10’s are compared to Apple’s iPhone 11 with the A13
Of course I could be wrong... like I said it was just a guess. Maybe all 900 million iPhone users will watch the keynote, who knows? I mean we all know how riveting Tim Cook can be when he’s giving a keynote lol.

Last edited:

imola.zhp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Maybe I’m just cheap but I don’t understand the people who will pay $250+ for this. It’s definitely very convenient and it will look nice but for $250 (purely my assumption on pricing) I can deal with a few extra wires.
Or just buy wireless chargers on Amazon for a fraction of the estimated price, seriously, 2-pack for $22. I love them, I've bought 3 packs? I've also gifted two packs to family and friends. Phone is always charged.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Qi-Certified-Charging-Compatible-Qi-Enabled/dp/B07GW9S9TB/ref=asc_df_B07GW9S9TB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310039037276&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10885774710091671508&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013504&hvtargid=pla-569051186070&psc=1

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
What’s AirPower? Qi charger?
It's a Qi charger, but with numerous coils, and sensors/circuitry for working out which ones it should power up at any given moment. So that it can charge multiple randomly placed devices at the same time, while also not trying to melt non-devices, like, say, your car keys.

Neat QoL improvement over most wireless chargers. In five years, the tech will be ubiquitous and everyone will just expect Qi chargers to work that way.

andresebr

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
I would consider buying this if it costs less than $100. I might even upgrade my Series 2 to a Series 4 if that happens. But I’m sure this charger will be ridiculously overpriced so I will end up saving a small fortune by not buying anything at all.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Well actually← (uggh, do you just hate people who start off with that know-it-all phrase) it is wireless charging because there is no contact needed between the transmitter and receiver. That's why you can Qi charge through cases. It's near field charging. What you desire is either mid field or far field transmission. There are trade-offs though. Near field is the only way you're getting fast charging. Mid and far field will only be a trickle charge right now.

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Great concept, but I use a stainless link band on my watch so it can't lay flat, something most all other watch chargers account for.

And once again, the white pad like all other white cables and accessories will look pretty crappy after just a few months of constant use. Why a trillion dollar company is so stingy with color choices baffles me.

Last edited: