Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Perhaps wrong forum, but I only have iPhones to try airprint on, so I will give it a go here.

Let's start with the fact that I have a brother laser printer on our network (we have an Apple Airport extreme). The printer is set up as the main printer on all of our PCs, and we use the home theater PC most often. I can print via wifi on that printer without issues.

Netgear genie promises to allow airprint on any printer (not just the dozen or so that have airprint "baked in"), so we installed it on a computer that would be on 24/7 (the HTPC). Setup seemed to go just fine. The iphone can even find the printer on airprint, however we tell it to print, the iPhone does its thing, but nothing is printed. My gut tells me that this may be because the printer is networked and not plugge directly into the HTCP (unfortunately that's not really an option), but am confused as to why the iPhone sees the printer in the first place.

has anyone been able to get airprint working via netgear genie with a printer on the network? If so, was there any special setup involved?

jaweston

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
San Francisco
Brother app installs on your iPhone?

I set up a network with a Netgear R6300 router and Netgear Genie software on a computer, and iOS devices can print to a Brother networked laser printer without having to install any software on the iOS devices.

But you must be sure that the computer housing and running the Netgear Genie software can print directly to the printer in question.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I set up a network with a Netgear R6300 router and Netgear Genie software on a computer, and iOS devices can print to a Brother networked laser printer without having to install any software on the iOS devices.

But you must be sure that the computer housing and running the Netgear Genie software can print directly to the printer in question.

All of our computers are able to print to all printers over the network such that no single computer needs be on to make the other work (basically it is not networked through a computer, it is actually networked through the router). I am able to see the brother printer on my idevices and select print but nothing happens. I can go back and print from any of the aforementioned computers and it works just fine.

jaweston

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
San Francisco
All of our computers are able to print to all printers over the network such that no single computer needs be on to make the other work (basically it is not networked through a computer, it is actually networked through the router). I am able to see the brother printer on my idevices and select print but nothing happens. I can go back and print from any of the aforementioned computers and it works just fine.

There have been reports, including from me, that the Netgear Genie AirPrint software doesn't always work with all printers.

Have you tried setting up the Netgear Genie software on a different computer and deleting it from the one that it is currently running on?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There have been reports, including from me, that the Netgear Genie AirPrint software doesn't always work with all printers.

Have you tried setting up the Netgear Genie software on a different computer and deleting it from the one that it is currently running on?

I have not, reason being we have an iMac and the Home Theater PC which are the only two computers in the house that are always on.

EDIT: I just realized this is available for MAC as well. I'll be darned! We set our iMac to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. Will that interfere with anything?

jaweston

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
San Francisco
I have not, reason being we have an iMac and the Home Theater PC which are the only two computers in the house that are always on.

EDIT: I just realized this is available for MAC as well. I'll be darned! We set our iMac to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. Will that interfere with anything?

As I understand it, the Netgear Genie software must be running at all times for the AirPrint to work. So, yes, the computer going to sleep likely will be a problem.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
As I understand it, the Netgear Genie software must be running at all times for the AirPrint to work. So, yes, the computer going to sleep likely will be a problem.

Well that's too bad. I will give it a try when I get home tonight and report here. FWIW the HTPC never sleeps, so that would have been a convenient machine to get this working on. :(

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are you sure that the Netgear Genie software on the PC didn't get turned off somehow?

Yes, I am sure. First and foremost, it gives me the "high traffic" bubble, which I never turned off. Second, our idevices still see the printer. When I manually kill netgear genie we are no longer able to see the printer with the idevices.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So it does work with the Mac, but not the HTPC. Strange. I can confirm that once the mac is asleep it will not work. Disappointing, but I guess it makes sense. As it stands this has very limited usefulness to me. Oh well. At least I got it to work.

Including the HTPC?

Yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.