Al and Tipper Gore separate after 40 years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This is unfortunate regardless of your opinions of Mr. Gore's politics. 40 years is a long time and you'd think that after that much time their marriage could weather any storm.

Link

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's sad to see such a long commitment fall apart.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, nice touch throwing in the weather analogy there. :D

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sad sure but no sadder than any other person who gets separated after so long

5. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh, I wish I could take credit for that, but it was completely unintentional. ;)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Doesn't a divorce waste resources?

Stay green Gore!

I kid I kid, it sucks but people drift apart, you'd think after 40 years though they'd just wait it out until one of them croaks.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Aww c'mon, just take credit. No one will know. ;)

Things must have gotten pretty heated for it to turn out this way. :D

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'm just relieved that it's two heterosexuals separating rather than two homosexuals trying to get married. </satire>

In all seriousness - I've been married for almost 10 years. And I'm fortunate. My parents have been married for 30+ years and so have my in-laws. Seeing a 40 year marriage come to an end really does make me worry for the future. I'm head-over-heels in love with my wife (and mother of my 2-month old son!!!!) and I do sometimes worry that one or both of us might someday change or we might grow apart. And that scares the hell out of me.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Growing out of love is a choice, not just something that happens. So, do everything you can to show your wife how you feel consistently. If you put her needs above your own and she does the same then the two of you need not fear the future.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Because two homosexuals getting divorced would really f''' with your reality?

$5 says you're banging some 24 year old secretary by the end of the year. You're only defensive for a reason.
    She likes (name your ethnicity here) guys with massive accents. Just ask her. Seriously, ask her, you'll be dissappointed for the rest of your marriage.
    Not nearly as much as it should.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you miss the satire tag in his post or something? Or am I missing the joking emoticon in yours?

That was unnecessarily harsh.

12. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sometimes I make sarcastic posts, and they go over certain folks' heads, and those folks overreact and then I have to explain to them I was just joking.

Are you just joking around? Because it's not coming across as funny, at all.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yikes. Yes, I was trying to be sarcastic, and satrical, and mean, and I was trying to piont out the silliness of the other post... Wow, I am trying to point out the lucicrous opposite, not be that mean.

I am sorry

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Couples can drift apart as much as stay together. Sometimes the person you are living with today is not the same as the one you married all those years ago. Its not necessarily a sad thing if both will be happier in the remainder of their lives.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No offense but what was so silly about the other post? The posters words seemed genuine, yours on the other hand had no indication that you were even trying to joke around. That kind of thing will make people react badly when interpreted wrong.

This.

It's been 40 years, its not like they have to stay together for the kids or anything. If they think they'll be happier apart and came to the conclusion in a respectful way, whats wrong with trying to enjoy the rest of your life happier than you'd otherwise be?

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If your goal in life is solely to focus on your own happiness then don't get married. Marriage is not about happiness, it's about committment.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Marriage is about mutual love and happiness, if both of you aren't happy together, why the hell should you have to stay together for commitments sake?

Don't mistake me as someone who would get married after two months of dating and being in "love". Marriage is a massive step and commitment and I'd only get married if I could see myself (and want) to be with her the rest of my life. If she becomes unhappy down the road, why wouldn't I want what would make us both happy? Remember, 40 years down the road its not like you have to stick together for the kids at all.

Who made you the judge of marriage? We only live and die once, I'd like to be happy.

18. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Despite her name, I hear she's a terrible tipper.

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

Ack! Two unhappy people staying together for no other reason than "committment". That's extremely sad.

At least he didn't say anything about "oil on troubled waters".

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm the judge of marriage because I was duly appointed by... well, I'm not supposed to say. Let's just say he wants me to point out how stupid many of your ideals are.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Love is a stupid concept now? Its all about the commitment right? I don't see any reason why two people who are unhappy together with nothing to keep them together (kids) should have to stay together in the name of commitment. Explain please. Why should two people be committed to unhappiness?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow. Who would have though Bill and Hillary would outlast Al and Tipper?

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It need not be about your own happiness but making the other person happy. Don't look at it from a purely selfish point of view. Personally, I think a marriage should be about love (which would imply personal happiness, I guess).

24. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

She probably got tired of seeing that Twisted Sister pin on his uniform.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I always thought marriage was about mutual happiness between lovers. Guess I was wrong huh?