Al Gore 2008?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Mar 25, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It would just guarentee that McCain would win.

TEG

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Interesting article. Gore would likely have my vote if it came down to him and Hillary, but I'm not so sure if it were between him and Obama.

But, based on how it has gone for the democrats so far, if Gore came into the equation, things would likely become even more heated, and make the democrats look even worse and probably do more harm than good to the chance of getting into office that the democrats have. And he has already said he won't run, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for him to try to make it into the race.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no. not going to happen. gore has no interest in running from what i have read.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is one man's (Mahoney's) opinion. I sure don't see any groundswell of support for the idea.

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

As much as I would LOVE Al Gore to run and win, I don't see it happening. :(

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can he even run this late in the game with all the delegates already being given out. Unless he ran independent.

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

If he wants to stay a Democrat, there's no way he'll do it. Now, if he wants to end the two party system in America, he may throw his hat in the ring.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

that's the funny thing about this election. It really isn't about experience or being against the war before the fact. People seem to like or dislike a candidate reguardless. I highly doubt either candidate would throw in the towel if Gore decided to run for either of the reasons you pointed out. And while some voters would move over to Gore's side, the majority would just find another reason not to vote for him.

As someone said before me, this would end in a McCain victory.

11. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This would be akin to Alan Keys running for the Illinois Senate in 2002 :D.

Run Al Run!

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe in 2000. But not now. While he's still not that popular, and the right has a lot to cream him over, according to every poll I've been reading, until Obama started gaining, he was the odds on favorite. Add in the voters being so unhappy with the GOP right now, some of the right not liking McCain, while he's losing his moderate creds by leaning further to the right (courting the religious right while supporting the very unpopular war) and a new, not as stuffy attitude and I think he'd have a legitimate shot. Maybe the right would be energized against Gore the way they are with Hillary, and McCain could have kept up with his talk about the surge, but since the only things that were working related to the lack of violence, and violence is now going back up as we reach that very sad milestone of over 4,000 troops dead, I doubt they could keep that up. Add in the economy, and Gore could use some of his talking points that didn't work in 2000 that would make McCain's look unrealistic now.

Not that he would, or even could at this point, or even wants to, but I at least think he'd have a good shot. Kerry got close, and we hated him. This isn't the same as in 2000, and neither is he.

Keyes never had a chance, whereas Gore almost won in 2000 (actually did win the popular vote) and the GOP was much less hated then they are now.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... I always thought Kerry was Gore v2.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think the idea is that he would decide to start running against HC & BO now, but rather that if the convention and the party were hopelessly and bitterly split, then they would turn to Gore as a compromise to unify the party

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The problem is that both sides are very passionate about their candidates right now.

In fact, if there was an Obama-McCain general, 28% of Hillary supporters say they would support McCain. Talk about disenfranchisement.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105691/McCain-vs-Obama-28-Clinton-Backers-McCain.aspx

I can see him playing a part as negotiating the candidate, but for him to be one himself, I don't think so.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just as long as he's not asked to head up the committee to choose the VP nominee...