Al Gore in 2008?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Sep 26, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Who here thinks that Al Gore will run this election?

The door is still definitly left open for him to run. This election did start very early and there is still plenty of time until the primaries. My guess is that Clinton will win New Hampsire, Edwards will win Iowa. This will probably split the democratic party and give Gore a good chance to get the nomination. Im my opinion, I would love to see him as president.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Mr. "I will believe in whatever my audience wants me to believe in"? No thanks. He was a better alternative the W is 2000, but I can say the same about a parking meter.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's made no indication that he is intending to run. He seems to be happy doing what he's doing now, and shows no sign that he is eager to jump back into the pressure cooker of politics.

I don't think he's seriously considering a run.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Gore would be my first choice, however, mac is right I don't see any indication that he will run. I'm pretty sure if he decides to he will let us know in the next month. Probably after the Nobel Peace Prize announcement (October 12th) and before the filing deadline for Michigan (October 23rd.) He is one of the few people who could announce that late and still have a chance to win.

6. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I think if Gore did get the nomination, him and Richardson would probably be a really good contender for the presidency. Its too bad though that Richardson dosen't stand a good chance of getting the nomination himself.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This election's latecomer won't be Al Gore. Fred Thompson is already filling that role, even if he's from the Republic Party. ;)

It sure would be interesting to see what would happen if Gore jumped in, though. Hillary would probably pee her pantsuit.

8. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Hilary will get the nomination, then Mitt will be elected, I don't think she can win a national election.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No way... I have a better chance of winning this election that Romney.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

In recent polls, almost any of the top tier Dems beat any of the Republicans. Even Freddy, and by a surprisingly large number, Newt too. "None of the above" is actually in the lead on the GOP's side. Whereas "any of the above" seems to work for the Dems.

People aren't really that happy with the Dems right now, but they really hate the Repubs.

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=28780

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doubt it....plus Kuchinich is a much better candidate, as is Obama

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless, I think when it really came down to the wire, Hillary would lose.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

There is no doubt that the Dems have it to lose, but I agree with Lee that if the Dems put forth Hillary, the GOP will come out in force to stop her. The latest Rasmussen poll shows Rudy ahead of her when you actually include names in the poll instead of just using parties.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/giuliani_47_clinton_44_clinton_48_thompson_44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen_Reports

14. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I would be very disappointed if the Dems chose Hilary as their candidate. I don't understand why they would choose the one person who the Republicans hate the most. If the race were between her and Guliani, the election would probably be just as close as the 2000 election.

15. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Romney? Are you on drugs?! Have you seen any polls, debates, or any general consensus among either party? Romney stands as much chance of winning the Presidency as Osama does...yes, Osama (that was not a typo).

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Osama is trailing even worse in the polls...

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

as of today's Rasmussen Report, they're showing Clinton leading Guiliani;

the report

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected.

It is still interesting to see such a close race when the democrats have such a commanding lead in polls about overall party politics.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Based on her answers during the Dem debates, she's not endearing the far left to support her either.

20. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I wonder if Richardson still stands a chance to get the nomination. If he doesn't, I bet he will be someones running mate. It would really be to the Democrats advantage to choose Richardson because he is definitely a candidate who would be fairly well liked by Democrats and republicans.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which makes her a more electable candidate to the general population. She knows the Sista Soulja routine.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The problem is when no one trusts or likes you- the far left, the middle, or the far right. I really want to know where these polls are coming from that show support for her. I don't know anyone who thinks she's a good candidate.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

She'll never get the far right. No Democrat will penetrate that demographic. The independents and moderates will grudgingly support her if she is not seen as beholden to the MoveOn wing of the party. The far left will grudgingly support her because they won't want to see Mitt get his mitts on the presidency.

Not my preferred candidate by any means, but I can see how her campaign has chosen to position her as the moderate. It seems to be working so far.

And really, what else can the right throw at her? Pretty much every attack out there has already been used. Unless she slips up, which she has shown little propensity for doing, there isn't a whole lot of new ammunition for the "oppo" teams to dig up. She's a rock-solid politician in that it is very hard to get her off her talking points and into risky territory.

It may turn out that all you have to do is be a mediocre Democrat to get elected this cycle. I certainly don't see any strong personalities taking risks to break away from the pack.

24. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Gore? No chance.

And thank heavens--he's the most boring candidate imaginable, not to mention being tagged as a loser.

25. MK2007 macrumors regular

Al Gore won't run. He has no desire to be involved with the dirtiness of politics anymore. He feels that he can make contributions in other ways. He probably would win again this time, if he chose to run. But that outcome depends on how Hilary Clinton and John Edwards handle their campaign. Given that most presidents get re-elected and remain in office for 8 years, this may be Al's last chance to run or he'll fade into history as far as having a career as president is concerned.