Al Gore wins 07 Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shaduu, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Just heard it over on Sky News but no one seems to have the story online yet. Good news for us eco-warriors then. :D

Reuters tip Gore as winner

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Let's not forget it was split with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). But congratulations Al Gore.

4. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Congrats, Al! If I was American, Al Gore would be my choice for POTUS.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah lets not forget there use of scientifically disproven facts, or Al gore sensationalist movie. Don't get me wrong i'm all for improving the world we live in but you have to use "facts" carefully.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Only took four replies. This thread is going to progress nicely :D.

p.s. It's 'their' not 'there'.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

p.p.s. I'm dyslexic and it is one of the rules in this forum to not post about spelling mistakes. I am usually good with spotting these things but my mind was trying too hard to actually type the words, I switched to dvorak keyboard a couple of days ago, to notice this time.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I agree. Gore is well-known for taking credit where credit is not due.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The Nobel Committee would disagree with you there ;).

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well the wording of the prize is quite telling

"for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

So all Al-gore could've done to get this prize is accumlate the "facts" and then make the general public aware. Which in his position isn't very hard.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Facts like the Artic will be gone soon? or bilions of auto's pooring gases and HEAT into the atmosphere, or millions of factories? Please pull your head out of the sand and stop listening to the $$$ Corporations with bought & paid for politicians like BushCo.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is just so cute.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This doesn't need to go down the route of personal attacks. My head is not in my arse. The old arguement of the nay sayers being paid off by the corporations is getting a tad tiersome. And it works both ways the ammount of people who earn their living off climate change is huge why would you want to break that bubble.

To put my views into perspective I have actually done, when compared to most people, extensive research on this matter. What is was referring to was the IPCC use of what has been shown to be wrong in peer review process. So please contribute something to the discussion rather than personal attacks. By the way where did I say that global warming/climate change wasn't happening. So perhaps you actually read and understand what is being said before replying next time.

Don't patronise me.

14. sananda macrumors 68020

xUKHCx may be referring to this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7037671.stm

anyway, congratulations to al gore and the UN panel.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

History has proven over and over and over man has been screwing his enviroment over thousands and thousands of years. Wiping out species, cutting down trees, burning fossil fuels, Freon release and the Ozone layer and now this. Those who think billions of Ape Men arent changing things here on earth are Naive to say the least. How can any sane person say everything we are doing isnt affecting this thin atmospher of ours boggles my mind. With that said its time to turn on my Fossil burning fuel car and go to work.:D

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

From many of the previous posts, it is clear that this thread is bound for the PRSI forum; hold onto your hats.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! well then- let me just add that this is one prize W will never win! :D

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Surely he'll get the nod for leading the war on terrorism.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Kottke's got an interesting take on this:

Actually it was a Keynote presentation ;)

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So, they don't award it for actually doing something about world peace anymore?

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd say getting nearly every nation in the world to seriously consider acting together to stop a problem that affects all of us counts as "doing something about world peace."

This isn't much different from awarding the prize to Mother Theresa or others. You don't have to sign a peace treaty to get the Nobel Peace Prize.

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Wonder how much fossil fuel it took for Al's jet to take him to receive the award. Oh, I'm sure it was going there anyway.

Hey, he's my hero now though. I'm raising my carbon footprint to equal his. I have a couple thousand BTUs a month more to grow, but at least I'm trying.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Let's see, one can use their fame and popularity to line their pockets, or they can try to make a difference in the world. Gore was trying to make a difference and seemed to manage to reach a lot of people who might not have otherwise gotten the message.

Would you rather he just sit back, write shameless self promoting books, doing speaking engagements for the money alone, and becoming a political pundit on TV or a lobbyist? Other than Jimmy Carter, Gore is one of the best examples of an ex-president/vice president trying to do something good with their popularity.

24. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Sure they do! A few years back they gave one to Yasser Arafat!!!!! :eek:

This debate has been vitriolic for far too long—we need to get past the bickering. I'll be back in 100 posts when consensus has been reached.

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

While doing this are you going to pay the higher rates to your utility company to get Wind/Hydro/Solar or other green power for your home? Are you going to purchase the carbon offsets to make up for you're extra energy use?