Al Gore's New Mansion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, May 5, 2010.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Excuse me now; we had a very very cold winter. That means the planet isn't warming and the whole body of evidence suggesting that it is and how it is, is a collection of lies. I should know, I listen to Rush.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am somewhat puzzled by anybody wanting nine bathrooms in a five-bedroom house. :confused:

(Unless of course "bathroom" doesn't mean "bathroom").

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

^^^

It could be 5 full baths on the second floor, and 4 half baths on the main floor.

4. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Actually it's the bare minimum ;) :
    • Two private bathrooms (his n hers) for the master bedroom
    • One private bathroom for the other four beds
    • One public bathroom per floor (basement, ground and upper)

Reminds me of the wealthy homeowner who spent a fortune adding a luxury upstairs kitchen to his McMansion - because it was "too far" to walk to the other one! No kidding.

Tough life, huh?

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I always include a wink when I'm being sarcastic.

I wouldn't want anybody to mistakenly think that I was serious.

Please tell me that you just forgot to include one.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's all relative. There are some houses that make Al's look quaint in comparison. To the hobo living in a cardboard box my simple 3 bedroom 2 bathroom looks like luxury.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets say that Gore makes this house as green as possible, the fact still is that he bought another house that will still raise his carbon footprint. So lets say if he has 4 houses all green the fact remains that he has 4 houses. That must cancel out something.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And...?

:confused:

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It will raise his carbon footprint if each house was newly-built and each consumes X amount of utilities. But, since the house already existed, it didn't change the overall carbon output at all.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I thought she was implying that it's immoral for environmentalists to invest in real estate... that they can only put their money into granola futures. :p

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not sure who you are referring to but I will respond anyway. I thought environmentalists try to save the environment and live with less. Lets say Gore has 4 mansions, I don't know what the actual number is. Lets also say that I own one mansion that isn't energy efficient and he owns 4 that are, what is the energy savings combined between 4 green and one dirty house. If all his houses are green the carbon output still has to be close to 1 regular house. So is he really saving the environment at all.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not quite clear on why Al Gore needs 4 houses...

I think you're probably being a little optimistic there, its likely his 4 homes will use more energy than one standard home, but really it depends how big they are - energy efficiency can be very effective.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For the record I don't know if he has four homes. It was just used as an example.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think it's obvious that Gore is a bit of a limousine liberal. But it's disingenuous for conservatives to attack him on carbon footprints when many of them are themselves out-and-out global warming deniers.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, there's some complicated questions there. First, environmentalists try to live with less impact on the environment at large which can mean all sorts of interesting propositions.

If Gore owns four homes that are highly energy efficient it's possible, though unlikely, his collective living space could indeed be better energy wise than the average McMansion.

Also, if Gore is spending a great deal of time on the west coast, it might be more environmentally friendly for him to have a home in CA than shuttling home on a CO2 producing continental flight. It just depends on the calculations and what Gore is doing.

I agree with Lord Blackadder, Gore appears poorly in this exchanges, but we have to make sure we're not ascribing meaning to these kinds of symbols without considering the complexities.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've been reading the Economical Environmentalist and he uses 3300kg out of 7600kg of his total emissions of CO2 to fly twice return to India and France from the UK (and India one-way is about as far flying as a return trip from New York to LA).

And he only uses 1200kg to heat his house. So if Al Gore is making quite a few trips across from coast to coast that would make sense.