Al Gore's personal electricity consumption 'up 10%'...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MBX, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

great, but who cares? My house probably uses more electricity than my neighbours, but we all pay our fair share.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so?

he does pay extra on his bill to make sure it comes from a 'green' source or at least to help offset the cost of getting more green energy etc.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not just use less energy in the first place?

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

And 3 30' Cinema displays (AND a big flatscreen TV running)

Classic

[​IMG]

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

im sure he has a massive house with alot of goodies inside, u try using less when ur house is at least 5x the size of the average americans

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what if he is using the least possible? i mean if you need to use it you need to use it. its all about your habits and what needs to be done. now if he were running lights 24/7 and just wasting energy to waste it, sure come down on him. but if hes using and keeping it to the minimum amount possible, then thats that. its a big place, and it all depends on his management of whats being use and whats not. which we'll never know because we don't live there.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Another ad hominem argument about Al Gore.

Yay!

We haven't had one of those in what? A month?

EDIT: Three cinema displays too! OMFGBBQ!

10. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Novel idea.

This just reeks of hypocrisy. In other threads on this board people are saying that people who live in rural areas are greedy and selfish for wanting that lifestyle, that people who drive SUV's are selfish, greedy, wasteful etc...Here is a guy that is wasting tons of resources to live a lavish lifestyle while telling others that they should do with less or do without.

When it comes to Al Gore, seems like everyone wants to give him a freepass.

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Even in the worst-case scenario, who the **** cares?

I just don't get it. "Do as I say, not as I do" is an awful way to raise your children, but when it comes to adults presenting hard facts, I couldn't care less if the president of Exxon lit a barrel of crude oil on fire onstage while telling us all to reduce our energy usage. I would STILL say, "Hey, reducing energy usage is a good idea." I fail to see how the "fact" that Al Gore uses more electricity than the rest of us serves to undo the fact that we need to use our resources more wisely.

And we don't even know whether this is true. A quick look at Wikipedia includes sourced comments that Al Gore uses more electricity than he used to, and it also includes sourced comments saying that he uses LESS electricity than he used to. Either way, somebody give me ONE GOOD ****ING REASON why the idea that Al Gore uses too much electricity obviates his message that we need to quit consuming so much of our natural resources. His message was presented based on FACTS and RESEARCH, not based on saying that "Oil executives are wasteful ninnies", so you can't destroy his message by saying "Al Gore is a wasteful ninny."

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And yet he could just pay the same rates for the polluting energy the rest of us use, but chooses to spend extra money to get power from green sources.

Do you think the energy companies are selling the green energy at a loss? Or might they be making profit on this energy that can be invested into more green sources so that the price can eventually come down for the rest of us to use green sources without it killing our pocketbooks. By using green energy he's subsidizing it's development for the rest of us.

By all means, he should be using more electricity...

Why is it so bad to be using vast amounts of renewable energy? Is there a shortage?

13. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

that is a sweet setup though, wish I had 3 30" cinema displays :)

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hmmm.. Very strange:

In 2008, they report 213K kWh, and say his consumption is "up 10 percent".

In 2007, They reported 221K kWh.

Last I checked, 213K is less than 221K.

Also, there's a very good reason his consumption didn't go down more -- he was in the middle of a renovation to conserve energy. All those power tools consume a lot of power. I've seen estimates that his consumption should decrease by close to 50 percent when renovations are complete.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link
    AFAIK Gore's home isn't just a private residence it's also his base of operations so of course it's going to have higher energy costs than an average home 'cause, as a place of business as well, it has energy requirements higher than an average home.

Lethal

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Given his lifestyle that doesn't sound high at all, this household's electricity bill is far higher and we're just a bunch of nerds.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

Maybe he does pay more for 'green' energy, but that is not what this article is about. Why, after all of the well publicized renovations, does he now use 10% more energy than before. Seems like he is using the renovations as an excuse to use more than ever. Al Gore has to be the truest form of hypocrite ever.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Can we just merge/wasteland these awful threads?

I don't see the point in discussing Al Gore's energy use. Just because he uses more energy (and renewable energy, which has already been pointed out numerous times in this thread) doesn't invalidate the entire science of climate change.

The people creating these threads don't care about that though. The only thing they have left is to attack the messenger since they can't attack the message. It isn't serious debate or discussion, and I don't see how it has a place in PRSI at all.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why, after we answer the questions 2 and 3 posts up, do you still ask them?

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought mindless bickering was always a cornerstone of the PRSI experience.:p

Lethal

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Ah, touché. You are right. I suppose it wouldn't bother me as much if these people didn't try to use Al Gore's energy consumption as a launching pad for climate change denial. It hasn't happened yet, but once this threads hits 2 or 3 pages I'm sure we'll see it start.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Because you never answered the question, and only noted that 'green' power is more expensive. So? Power is power, I'm talking quantity, not cost. All you seem to want to talk about is cost.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Because power is not power. Al Gore could use ten billion kWh per month if he wants and as long as it's renewable energy (solar, wind, geothermal) it wouldn't matter at all. His energy consumption isn't harming anybody or anything except his wallet.

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

In small words:

Renovation = more power, temporarily

Figures don't yet reflect renovation

Actual use is down, not up

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

We have a winner!

Does complaining about high gas prices and environmental damage while driving a Hummer make me a hypocrite? What if I spent a considerable amount of money to convert the Hummer over to solar/water power so that it uses zero fossil fuels and has zero emissions?

Renewable power does not deprive others of the fuel for power and by using it Gore pays extra money that will eventually lead to research and developments that drive renewable energy to more use as the price goes down.

I don't care if he leaves his lights on 24/7 and runs space heaters next to his thermostat while his central air cranks away. The energy he's paying for isn't removing any of our limited supply of fossil fuels, nor is it contributing to pollution or climate change.

Does it sound hypocritical to tell the rest of us to conserve while using all that power? Yes. Is it? No. The reason he tells the rest of us to conserve is that most of us aren't spending the extra money to use renewable energy and conservation would reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and reduce pollution. Neither of which he contributes to.