Al Gore's son arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

Shame this guy is so messed up. I hope they don't give him any preferential treatment, but I also hope he gets the serious help he obviously needs. Especially since he lives in California, which has a "three strikes" law.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I can't believe what a big deal people are making about a few grams of pot. The prescription pills maybe, but it's pot for god's sake.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Waiting for the conservative press to pick this one up and run with it. Despite Al not actually holding any office right now. They're desperate for anything at this point. It'll be really funny if O'Reily and Rush go after him, given their own issues with this, but I fully expect it.

That being said, I don't defend driving 100mph, especially while on something. Especially with prescription drugs that aren't yours. Especially if your in the public eye. The mj I don't really care about.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Maybe, but combining recreational drugs with 100mph is criminal. Smoking pot in your basement is one thing. Endangering others should result in at a bare minimum a loss of a drivers license and jail time.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i can care less about the weed and drugs, but driving a prius at 100mph is kinda insane.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...also was pulled over and arrested for pot possession in December 2003, in Bethesda, Maryland, while he was a student at Harvard University.

He completed substance abuse counseling as part of a pretrial diversion program to settle those charges."

Slow learner. ADD, maybe? He got a free ride, once. This little twirp has all the common sense of a mouse in heat.

'Rat

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's always unfortunate to hear about the irrational behavior that often accompanies a person's substance abuse and mental health problems, which clearly seems to be the case with the younger Al. Unfortunately, some of us are ignorant of mental health issues. This isn't a matter of common sense; it's a matter of an individual who likely suffers from a disease. Rather than look foolish by demeaning people because of a health condition, it would be wise for all of us to do a little homework and educate ourselves about mental health issues.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

While I agree to an extent, would he be any less accountable for his actions?

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

thats what I was thinking.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Of course not. As a part of his treatment, he should confront his bad behavior and admit that driving 100mph while (probably) intoxicated on a cocktail of various depressants endangers everybody around him. He should also be required to repay society in some fashion. Perhaps many hours of community service would be a suitable punishment.

11. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Community service? Who are you? Johnnie Cochran?

Community service for reckless driving under the influence?
    100 mph? The following drugs in his possession (and maybe in his system):
    Marijuana, Adderal (speed), Soma, Valium, Xanax, Vicodin.

And all at 2:15 in the morning (when was the last time anyone was up to anything good at 2:15 AM?)

And he has a long record of previous arrests and violations on alcohol, drug use, and reckless driving.

Maybe forcing him to sit through his dad's speeches would be fair punishment, but community service? I'm not buying it.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

"So messed up" ???

Eh, plenty of people are in way worse shape.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

By all means, make a suggestion instead of a snarky comment.

I often don't go down until the sun comes up. Doesn't mean I'm up to no good.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what an odd thing to say.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Garth Brooks...is that you? :p

16. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I didn't know a Prius could go 100 mph.

Free Al Gore III! Give him the Scooter treatment!

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep, posting on MacRumors is what I do at 2:15 AM :)

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I tried driving on marijuana once, everything seems like it's going by real fast; I can't see how someone could possibly drive at 100 mph on it. I drove on the San Diego freeway late one night. I thought I was driving a little too fast at the time; maybe like 70 mph. I looked down at the speedometer and it registered 30 mph. :eek:

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm not sure I follow your logic... To me, it just sounds like an easy excuse so he doesn't have to take account for his actions.

Well, apparently he's had practice. :p

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Gotta agree with you there.

21. Queso macrumors G4

But at least he was saving the Earth whilst he did it :)

No excuses for this I'm afraid. Even at that hour he was putting others in serious danger. See you in three to six months Al.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

aquajet, I gotta disagree with you about "mental health problems", at least in the clinical sense. His mental health problem looks from his track record to be a serious case of immature, spoiled brat-itis. Not a lot different from the Paris Hiltons and the Britney Spears types who have an inflated but unwarranted sense of competence.

He'd probably benefit from going through Boot Camp at Parris Island, although he's already rendered himself ineligible. The Corps doesn't take losers.

'Rat

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is he cute? Which jail is he in? :)

Eek! Nevermind. Definitely NOT cute. Saw the pic.

24. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

A little disconcerting for both of us, no doubt, but there we have it. :)

25. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I actually heard Rush speaking about this this morning and he didn't go after Al III at all. He stated that Al needed to get some serious help and hopefully this incident would be a life-changing time for him. He then went on to mention how his own five weeks in rehab were the most important five weeks in his life and he had a completely new perspective on his life and decisions when he came out. It was a rather refreshing comentary.