Al Jazeera Does a Report on Japanese Anime and Manga

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Aug 14, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I was pretty surprised to come across this just now. :cool:

I've never been a hater of Muslims like the government wants me to be anyway, but this makes me think better of them even more. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLriZPkwlvA

What do you guys think?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'd be more impressed if it was in Arabic. The Muslims the "government wants you to hate" probably don't watch Al Jazeera in English. So that program was to attract a 12-18 year old english speaking young adult. It does seem like that age group is a little out of AJ's demographic.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

The Muslims that are complete whackjobs don't watch it in English.

But why is there an English speaking version anyway? Who does it aim towards?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You win points for your sensitivity. :eek:

The video makes me wonder why people waste all that money but it's their money to waste.

I'm not sure why Al Jazeera cares but I'm sure it's interesting to see how other people live, especially when your only point of reference comes from Hollywood.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The english version is probably aimed at those who would give them credibility.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. pdham macrumors member

Al Jazeera has long been a respected and "mainstream" (whatever that means) news agency. In fact they have won numerous awards for their reporting. Here are a few taken from Wikipedia:

In December 1999, Ibn Rushd (Averoes) Fund for Freedom of Thought in Berlin awarded the "Ibn Rushd Award" for media and journalism for the year to Al Jazeera.[62]

In March 2003, Al Jazeera was awarded by Index on Censorship for its "courage in circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world."[63]

In April 2004, Webby Awards nominated Al Jazeera as one of the five best news Web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic, RocketNews and The Smoking Gun. According to Tifanny Schlain, the founder of the Webby Awards, this caused a controversy as [other media organisations] "felt it was a risk-taking site".[64]

As for their english site; In March 2003, they launched their first english website offering coverage on the Iraqi conflict (or what would become so). The site disappeared shortly there after and the government kicked their smear campaign of Al Jazeera into high gear... draw the conclusions you will.

Link about first english website (not the best source, but all I could find. Note: this is not the National Inquirer just so you know):
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8509

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

By mainstream, I mean more international, rather than being tailored strictly to the arabic world.
    Which is now catching the eye of more random people. It's not the propaganda machine it has been made out to be (and perhaps was) in the past.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Who cares? So they reported something that occurred. Shocking, really.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Now I know where all the Trekkers and D&D players went.

11. ambience macrumors member

Wha! I like Anime but I think that is the nerdiest thing I've ever witnessed... in my life.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Try sitting beside someone in class who won awards for his costumes and make fun of such people before you know that. :D It doesn't always go well.

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The only reason Al Jazeera is portrayed as being evil is because it reports all the news that the US doesn't want to get out. They are actually doing the world some good.

However I'm not sure that this report really follows their values, considering they are predominantly watched by Arabs, I can't imagine the English speakers would be particularly amused by their network reporting on this.

Then again, Iran is supposed to be a beautiful place, not the desolate country it's made out to be, so perhaps they have Anime/Manga conventions there too :p