Al-Qaida Poised to Strike the U.S Again?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Seattle Times

And all this time I thought the Bush administration confiscated all of al-Qaida's money. What happened?

2. walangij macrumors 6502

Hmmm, so is the "war on terror" and some of the legislation passed to help protect us while taking away some freedoms doing much good? I thought we traded some freedom for safety? Obviously it is working as there have been many foiled attempts thankfully, but still if I am less free and still feel not as safe (better word?) I'd rather have all my freedoms back and be unsafe in that case. Hopefully the US prevents another strike at home.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

All KNOWN money. Hasn't prevented them from obtaining more.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe they have shares in Halliburton.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why are we in Iraq then?

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I remember thinking I was one of about 5 people on the planet who disagreed with the notion terrorism can be wiped out like cleaning weeds from a garden. The only way to address terorism is to eliminate the surrounding social, political and economic conditions that motivate terrorism in the first place. That being said, I think anyone who plants bombs meant for the sole purpose of killing none other than civilians, women and children are bastards and should be hunted down and shot like the miserable rabid dogs they are -yes that includes GIs who rape and kill innocent civilians too.

7. walangij macrumors 6502

Sadly, it seems as if our intervention in Iraq has soured the image of the United States. Remember right after september 11, countries all over the world, even Iran, people in the mideast stood behind us, but entering Iraq and mismanaging the war/intelligence changed all that. It's a grim outlook and very depressing, but eliminating terrorism is going to be very hard if not impossible because of the multiple ideologies.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If they did, that would be locked down too.

And by the way, for all the smack talk that you and others have about Halliburton I still haven't read a post where any of you have suggested a single name of a company capable of performing the work that they do that is better, cheaper and theoretically held to a higher standard. You want Bechtel instead? Name someone.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Oh didn't you hear? Nobody else gets a look in. The deal goes like this. Dick makes a mess, then appoints Halliburton to go clean it up at US taxpayers expense. Then Dick makes hundreds of millions on his share options thanks to the Halliburton profits.

All paid for by people like you. What amazes me is that you're not mad about it.

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What a big surprise that they've been gathering "forces" over the last 5 years.
    Amazing! I thought they would've learned their lesson by now...:rolleyes:

11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Indeed, they learned that it's easier to breed terrorists than cockroaches.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

LOL... I guess it's the US that hasn't learned its lesson then.:eek::eek:

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

TBH, the US has never been good about learning lessons.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Since these cronies of bush and cheney seem to be charging twice what it costs the government to do the same thing, it's pretty obvious that big biz is inherently inefficient. It's time the government stops lying and admits that outsourcing is a waste of taxpayer money.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The work that they do should not be done. Period.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Where were all you guys when I posted this same topic last night?

17. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

More, please?

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

cnn.com has a big, scary red banner, "Breaking News", that says "Al Qaeda is stepping up efforts to sneak terrorists into the U.S. and has rebuilt most of its capability to strike here, an intelligence estimate states, according to The Associated Press."

i feel as though the propaganda machine has kicked into overdrive. maybe it's time to flip the terror alert level lights a few times.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The occupation of Iraq is illegal, the pretext was manufactured, and the outsourcing of "work" which derives all its slight justification for the accompanying wholesale disregard of civil proprieties entirely from its being undertaken by the State in extremis is totally immoral, besides which the links between those who are prosecuting, defining and conducting this endless "war" and those who stand to profit from such activities are entirely too cosy.

20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The occupation, the pretext and the outsourcing are all different issues. The bottom line is the US and others are there. They did start (though hardly universally responsible) a hell of a mess and the Iraqi government seems to have no will to fix their own problems now. Do you beleive Iraq is a lost cause? I don't believe in the lost cause scenario. As long as the elected governments wants the occupation to stay, I say stay then.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The US has shown itself to be utterly incapable of acting as an honest broker, and unwilling to disengage politically to the extent that an election would properly reflect the democratic will of the people it is purporting to be acting in the interests of.

Any examinee held to have failed ten out of eighteen tests would not be given a second chance at the exam.

22. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I especially liked Wil Wheaton's view on this recent news. Just another scare tactic.

23. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Time out for a second, Wil Wheaton as in Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation? Whoa, talk about bringing it back there for a moment.

</off-topic>

Let the scare tactics begin! Front page of Newsday (Long Island paper) had a picture of Osama Bin Laden and the headline of Al-Qaida (Qadea)'s strength back to pre-9/11. I just shook my head.

I can't handle this crap anymore. (I'm referring to the lies, propaganda and all that fun stuff)

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

zimv, I sincerely hope you are right - this is just propaganda (when has CNN ever been under W's thumb though?). But if you are wrong, will you be as cavalier?

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've no doubt that AQ is planning another attack, and just because the WH is turning up the propaganda machine, doesn't mean the danger isn't there. i feel i can be "cavalier" about one w/o playing down the seriousness of the other.