Al-Quada strikes back!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, Apr 25, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

A nice article in the authoritative Foreign Affairs, on how we made Al-Quada more powerful than ever... interesting in view of the discussions we had here on how our policies help drive the recruitment and funds for AQ. Well worth a read, as it gives very good backround for our overall dilemma. The perspective is neither left nor right, but of real-politik:

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070501faessay86304/bruce-riedel/al-qaeda-strikes-back.html

"Summary: By rushing into Iraq instead of finishing off the hunt for Osama bin Laden, Washington has unwittingly helped its enemies: al Qaeda has more bases, more partners, and more followers today than it did on the eve of 9/11. Now the group is working to set up networks in the Middle East and Africa -- and may even try to lure the United States into a war with Iran. Washington must focus on attacking al Qaeda's leaders and ideas and altering the local conditions in which they thrive."

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the plan all along.

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think we surpassed their greatest expectations. We turned an estimated 500-1500 enemies, and have come away with most of the Muslim world on their side.

How many Americans would allow a foreign Army to occupy our country? Not many I think. So, if some kid, who sees himself as a patriot, is killed by Americans, you have now made his family and friends your lifelong enemy. These people live by the feud. That has been evidenced time and again. It is ingrained into their culture. That is why we are in the middle of a civil war. The hatreds go back hundreds of years. And we walked right into it. This was so friggin obvious.

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I started a thread here earlier today "America in the Middle East - an explanation", wherein I linked to a recent opinion poll in several Muslim countries. Well, can you say: "losing the hearts and minds"? We are in the pits in popular opinion. Vast majorities want us to leave the ME entirely, every country, station troops nowhere etc. (interestingly though, almost all ruling elites want us to stay so they can manipulate and exploit us - also an article I linked in that thread). Al-Quada's popularity has exploded, even if it is recognized that they employ inhumane methods - that's how far we've driven the populations in their hatred of our jihad against them. Mission Accomplished.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't used to think that, but we've screwed up so much it's either incredibly gross incompetence, or just plain evil. I'm still hoping for incompetence, with a little greed and pride thrown in. If this was a conspiracy, it's a pretty bad one.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Keep hoping. I for one will vote for evil on this.

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Indeed, of course the Americans didn't like it when the British were colonizing them back in the old days.

Nowadays the Iraqis don't like it when the American are trying to colonize the Middle East.

Man, too bad we didn't study our American history. The policy needs to be: mind your own business and put your own house in order.