Al Smith Dinner - A Funny Thing May Happen on the Way to Thursday’s Trump-Clinton Roast

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Oct 18, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So the Al Smith dinner is something that Presidential candidates swing by and do every four years. I had actually totally forgot about it in the chaos of this election. It's a joke/roast kind of dinner. I can't imagine how this is going to pan out. Neither candidate is all that funny and this campaign has been anything but lighthearted. It might just be more interesting than the debate!

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ing-nice-during-roasts-may-be-asking-too-much

http://www.politico.com/states/new-...ess-whos-coming-to-the-al-smith-dinner-106394

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Trump's chance to behave civil in public. Good luck Trumpy -- don't lose your cool; engage in light-hearted jokes; forget the rivalry with Hillary for just one stupid evening and make small talk with everyone -- it'll do you wonders if people can see you act like a diplomat instead of an overgrown man-child. Oh and please, for the love of America, don't bring up rigged elections, crooked Hillary, Bill's sexual activities, Hillary's sexual preferences, etc. Focus everything you have on being a gentleman. Do not screw this up man ... you're already losing the election, don't make it worse. Make fun of yourself, and try to stay away from insulting Hillary because it won't turn out good for you -- the media will misinterpret it and rip you to pieces. You'll also be roasted as well. Smile, laugh, and have a great time. People there might not like you, it's okay a lot of people don't like you. I don't like you. But this is for the children, take a few god damn ****ing digs for the children.

Hillary will have herself under control, that's what she's shown during the debates, so I expect her to be jesting her way around ... though, I do want to see one meltdown happen.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I seem to remember Trump managing to contain himself at a roast.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah but that wasn't when he was losing and right next to his opponent. Not to mention after whatever crap he will have said about her the night before. We may all get whiplash with that jarring of a transition between bad Trump and "contained" Trump a mere 24 hours apart.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It would be so like the erratic Donald Trump we have come to know on the stump -- and through late night Twitter events-- for him to be unable to put Wednesday night into the past by Thursday night, and so to completely lose it at an event like the Al Smith dinner.

Candidates do have a choice to elect not to speak, but most of them over the years have managed to come up with something for this big charity event. It helps to have something of a natural sense of humor as well as good speechwriters on tap. Trump himself is just not that funny most of the time, plus he's not great at using (or not abusing) a teleprompter... and of course the really big problem for his campaign managers and the GOP is that he sometimes departs the script.

Meanwhile I find it remarkable to keep bumping into mainstream media pieces like this one as we approach the final Presidential debate of the 2016 season:

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Read on Twitter that a 3rd grade teacher cancelled her kid's assignment to watch debate because it will likely be R rated.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Makes sense. The last thing we want to expose a bunch of 3rd graders to are a couple of adults acting like them when they're hopped up on sugar, caffeine, and anger.

BLOOD! BLOOD!

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm starting to wonder if teachers have to explain to kids that Andy Borowitz writes satire.

Gotta love his latest where he goes on about how Obama has signed an exec order that the loser of 2016 prez election has to leave the USA forever (and that the two previous losers, Romney and McCain, are good with it) :D

Bye bye Donny, safe journey to whatever country President Obama persuaded to give you a visa.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'd venture to say the 3rd graders are further along in development actually. :D Oh wait....:(

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Good. Why can't we just let kids be kids? Why do we have to have them grow up so fast?

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

After the debate, I'm really looking forward to the dinner now!

12. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Just a heads up for everyone...Donald and Hillary are seated (just a person away!:eek:) and should be giving their roast of each other within the hour. Being covered live on CNN and MSNBC.

Also found a YouTube online link. Probably other places as well.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow! Donald is doing good tonight! So much better than the debates! He is actually looking human tonight. Even talking about his wife's plagiarizing! And he's funny too! Amazing.

Well it was...it just went off the rails and now people are booing him. Ugh.

14. shyam09, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

It's not bad actually. Trump is funny.

The crowd booed when Donald said Hillary is corrupt. And now it's getting awkward.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2016 ---
    Hillary Clinton's speech ...

She's not very funny ... I'm smiling here and there, but Trump actually made me laugh. Yep, this just turned into a serious speech.

Trump held down Hillary's chair as she was sitting down, just something random I noticed.

And now religious stuff and a final prayer. It's over!!

15. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

end of trump's speech was way too akward and cringey

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Yeah, he suddenly abandoned the funny ship and just attacked Hillary. It wasn't as crude as his tweets or the debates, but it just was super weird.

Hillary's speech didn't feel like it was a roast really. It felt serious and a tad bit political maybe (note - political may be the wrong word).

In the end, I'm glad that both candidates were able to take some jokes from their opponent and the other people there without going into crazy nut land.

On a side note, I do feel that neither candidate was really "laughing" in the open, free mood they were meant to .. it felt like they were laughing because if they don't, well ... that would look horrible.

17. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Really? I didn't feel that way at all. There were definite times that neither Hillary nor Trump (or Melania) smiled. I think the smiles and laughter were very genuine. It was nice to see Melania smile for a change. She scowls more than Trump. She looked absolutely beautiful tonight though. Stunning dress. She looked far better than what Hillary was wearing.

The real loser of the event though was Rudy Giuliani. Man...if looks could turn someone to stone. Yikes! He didn't even get the Statue of Liberty being a four joke. He was like "what?" He looked so confused and angry. Also seated so very very very far from Trump. Practically the other side of the setup, way up in the nosebleed section. :D That's interesting.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm dying to watch the video, my DSL in primetime on weeknights is too slow so I'm going to watch it early in the morning or mid morning on a break. I saw snippets here and there while trying to stream it.

The thing about Rudy is funny (and sad). Boy it's a long way down sometimes. One wonders if he is entirely well, he always had a kind of ... unpleasant... side that could flip on like a switch but the off button for that doesn't seem to be working so well any more. I wonder what Trump would have done for him if Trump managed to win the election. Probably just informal advisor, part of kitchen cabinet? Even Trump must know Rudy's a little high strung for a formal post in government now.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I loved both speeches. Trump got a little bit more serious in the end, but he was funny.
    It's nice to see both candidates laugh and be a little bit human. It's a side that is often forgotten about.
    On a side note, I agree with Hillary :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek: One of the priorities should be to shorten the elections.
    Trump's joke on Melania (she was stunning tonight) was amazing.

Who's the lady with the red dress, two to the left from kissinger? I noticed her ... eyes.

Another question: where was Bill Clinton?

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I wanted to grab her by the cleavage. :p

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Ahahhahahahaha

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Youse guyz... she was the devil. Always have to keep an eye on the archbishop.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

She probably was. :eek:

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Archbishop has good taste. I admit that she was distracting, and certainly much better to see than Rudy G.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hillary doesn't have the timing to tell jokes. I wonder how the correspondents dinner will be next year.