Alabama’s chief justice:First Amendment only protects Christians

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
****ing scary. You may remember this cretin as the judge who refused to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building despite orders to do so from a federal judge.

Speaking at the Pastor for Life Luncheon, which was sponsored by Pro-Life Mississippi, Chief Justice Roy Moore of the Alabama Supreme Court declared that the First Amendment only applies to Christians because “Buddha didn’t create us, Mohammed didn’t create us, it was the God of the Holy Scriptures” who created us.

“They didn’t bring the Koran over on the pilgrim ship,” he continued. “Let’s get real, let’s go back and learn our history. Let’s stop playing games.”

Chief Justice Moore later defined “life” via Blackstone’s Law — a book that American lawyers have “sadly forgotten” — as beginning when “the baby kicks.” “Today,” he said, “our courts say it’s not alive ’til the head comes out.”

“Now,” he continued, “if technology’s supposed to increase our knowledge, how did we become so stupid?” Discussing Thomas Jefferson’s use of “life” in the Declaration of Independence, he said that “when [Jefferson] put ‘life’ in there, it was in the womb — we know it begins at conception. Why aren’t we going the right way instead of the wrong way?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/02/alabamas-chief-justice-buddha-didnt-create-us-so-first-amendment-only-protects-christians/#.U2PrEynwh6s.twitter

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
Someone needs to reread a few Constitutional Amendments. I suggest starting with the Fourteenth before returning to the First.

I'm not going to address the "when the baby kicks" issue, because "at conception" is a self-evident contradiction to that, so he's not even presenting a logically consistent argument.

EDIT
It occurred to me that the real question here is whether he genuinely believes these statements, or whether he's simply pandering to his audience. Of the two interpretations, I think the former is more troubling, because it shows a reckless ignorance of law and logic. The latter only shows a lack of courage.

/semi-sarc

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
He needs to be reminded that the people already living here when the pilgrims came fresh off the boat didn't have a Bible.

BL.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
He needs to be reminded that the people already living here when the pilgrims came fresh off the boat didn't have a Bible.

BL.
Please stop confusing this embarrassment to the bench's issues with annoying facts. They SO get in the way. :cool:

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
So much for equality in 'Muerica.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Declaration of Independence needs to be rewritten. The phrase "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," should be replace by, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, but some men are more equal than others.":eek: I can hear George Orwell saying, "I told you so."

Roy Moore has spoken. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed. It was a terrible statement.

It's shocking to think he obtained the office that he now holds with that lack of reasoning.
you need to see it positive: some have (lots) room for intellectual & spiritual growth. :rolleyes:
It boggles my mind how transparently self serving, unfair, and prejudicial the attitude of the Alabama Chief Justice is.

Your brain on religion:

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It boggles my mind how transparently self serving, unfair, and prejudicial the attitude (of the Alabama Chief Justice) is.

Your brain on religion:
I wonder how many people actually get that reference.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Dude, even Jesse Pinkman remembers it, and he's still wet behind his ears! :p

YouTube: video
I said barely :p. Some of the writers are probably in their 30s and are recalling the commercial from when they were kids.

Get the blueberry waffles. They cover up the taste of wheat.

To get on topic, I'm not middle aged yet, but I remember those commercials. I don't remember the first one quite as well, but I do remember the countless spin-offs and parodies that ran during the early-mid 90's.
It's not that. Whenever I eat the stuff I always end up with pain in my right side. Doctors tried to track it down for years. I eventually just started cutting things out my diet one by one to see what it was. After getting rid of wheat it went away for the most part. Switching brands of oatmeal and a few other things got rid of the rest.

Blah I didn't mean to go so far off topic. I watched the video of the guy. It's long enough that his words aren't taken out of context, and yet it's just one long string of rhetoric, and he even jams in a token 9/11 reference.

Edit: Edit: Oh the irony...

Last edited:

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
****ing scary. You may remember this cretin
I hate to say this, but, does anybody know how old this guy is? His statements seem so illogical and contradictory I can't help thinking he is way over the hill. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but, it is difficult to believe that he was this confused when he was appointed.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I hate to say this, but, does anybody know how old this guy is? His statements seem so illogical and contradictory I can't help thinking he is way over the hill. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but, it is difficult to believe that he was this confused when he was appointed.
He's 67, but this isn't the first time he's been involved in a religious controversy. After his appointment in 1992, "he brought his wooden Ten Commandments plaque with him, hanging it on the walls of his courtroom behind his bench", because (he later remarked) "I wanted to establish the moral foundation of our law."

The wikipedia entry for Moore is a "must read", if you want a sense of how famous (or infamous) he is in regards to his involvement with religious controversies.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He's 67, but this isn't the first time he's been involved in a religious controversy. After his appointment in 1992, "he brought his wooden Ten Commandments plaque with him, hanging it on the walls of his courtroom behind his bench", because (he later remarked) "I wanted to establish the moral foundation of our law."

The wikipedia entry for Moore is a "must read", if you want a sense of how famous (or infamous) he is in regards to his involvement with religious controversies.
Because we all know "the Bible tells us so". If it was not for the Bible and God telling us, we might be eating our kids for breakfast. :rolleyes: