Alabama’s chief justice:First Amendment only protects Christians

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, May 2, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

****ing scary. You may remember this cretin as the judge who refused to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building despite orders to do so from a federal judge.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/...nly-protects-christians/#.U2PrEynwh6s.twitter

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good to see the hard work Alabama is doing to maintain its reputation.

3. chown33, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

chown33 macrumors 604

Someone needs to reread a few Constitutional Amendments. I suggest starting with the Fourteenth before returning to the First.

I'm not going to address the "when the baby kicks" issue, because "at conception" is a self-evident contradiction to that, so he's not even presenting a logically consistent argument.

EDIT
    It occurred to me that the real question here is whether he genuinely believes these statements, or whether he's simply pandering to his audience. Of the two interpretations, I think the former is more troubling, because it shows a reckless ignorance of law and logic. The latter only shows a lack of courage.

/semi-sarc

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He needs to be reminded that the people already living here when the pilgrims came fresh off the boat didn't have a Bible.

BL.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Please stop confusing this embarrassment to the bench's issues with annoying facts. They SO get in the way. :cool:

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. Mousse, May 2, 2014

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So much for equality in 'Muerica.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Declaration of Independence needs to be rewritten. The phrase "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," should be replace by, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, but some men are more equal than others.":eek: I can hear George Orwell saying, "I told you so."

Roy Moore has spoken. So let it be written, so let it be done.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I know. And they make it look so easy.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed. It was a terrible statement.

It's shocking to think he obtained the office that he now holds with that lack of reasoning.

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

you need to see it positive: some have (lots) room for intellectual & spiritual growth. :rolleyes:

13. Huntn, May 2, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It boggles my mind how transparently self serving, unfair, and prejudicial the attitude of the Alabama Chief Justice is.

Your brain on religion:
    [​IMG]

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wonder how many people actually get that reference.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think it has something to do with Waffle House, doesn't it?

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He has mentioned being at least middle aged. I'm not that young and I barely remember it. It ran into the 90s.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's a terrible Waffle House ad!

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Blah I can't eat there anyway. They lack wheat free waffles:mad:.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Get the blueberry waffles. They cover up the taste of wheat.

To get on topic, I'm not middle aged yet, but I remember those commercials. I don't remember the first one quite as well, but I do remember the countless spin-offs and parodies that ran during the early-mid 90's.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Dude, even Jesse Pinkman remembers it, and he's still wet behind his ears! :p

21. thekev, May 2, 2014

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I said barely :p. Some of the writers are probably in their 30s and are recalling the commercial from when they were kids.

It's not that. Whenever I eat the stuff I always end up with pain in my right side. Doctors tried to track it down for years. I eventually just started cutting things out my diet one by one to see what it was. After getting rid of wheat it went away for the most part. Switching brands of oatmeal and a few other things got rid of the rest.

Blah I didn't mean to go so far off topic. I watched the video of the guy. It's long enough that his words aren't taken out of context, and yet it's just one long string of rhetoric, and he even jams in a token 9/11 reference.

Edit: Edit: Oh the irony...

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well if he is we don't have too much to worry about I bet he scorches his hair with the heat of the thinking every time he has to tie his shoes.
    [​IMG]

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hate to say this, but, does anybody know how old this guy is? His statements seem so illogical and contradictory I can't help thinking he is way over the hill. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but, it is difficult to believe that he was this confused when he was appointed.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

He's 67, but this isn't the first time he's been involved in a religious controversy. After his appointment in 1992, "he brought his wooden Ten Commandments plaque with him, hanging it on the walls of his courtroom behind his bench", because (he later remarked) "I wanted to establish the moral foundation of our law."

The wikipedia entry for Moore is a "must read", if you want a sense of how famous (or infamous) he is in regards to his involvement with religious controversies.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Because we all know "the Bible tells us so". If it was not for the Bible and God telling us, we might be eating our kids for breakfast. :rolleyes: