Alabama becomes 37th state to legalize gay marriage

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I think I just saw a pig fly by my windows. In a 7-2 decision about an hour ago, SCOTUS refused to stop same sex marriages from beginning in Alabama today. Alabama is the 37th state to recognize same sex marriages. This will probably also remove any doubt that a few people may have on how SCOTUS will rule on this issue in June. A 7-2 decision to allow the lower court ruling to take effect is pretty telling.

Link

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
All of these "conservative religious" states are pushing through gay marriage. What does this actually represent? The evolution of views as to what Christianity should mean, throwing in the towel, choosing one's battles, or a political adjustment to gain political advantage? Personally, I think it's a combination of the first two. The people who feel really strongly against gay marriage will always fight it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
So Alabama put forth a referendum that was voted on by the people, legalizing gay marriage by majority vote?

Thread title implies so.

Wouldn't a more apropos title people make a reference to some court ruling?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
All of these "conservative religious" states are pushing through gay marriage. What does this actually represent? The evolution of views as to what Christianity should mean, throwing in the towel, choosing one's battles, or a political adjustment to gain political advantage? Personally, I think it's a combination of the first two. The people who feel really strongly against gay marriage will always fight it.
Truth be told, the states really didn't really have much to do with these victories. The success of the gay rights movement has been federalism at it's finest.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
So Alabama put forth a referendum that was voted on by the people, legalizing gay marriage by majority vote?

Thread title implies so.

I don't know why you're getting so hung up on semantics. A court ruling was the first course of action that came to my mind when I read the title.

Mostly because any sane person would already know that a majority of people in Alabama would be more than happy to deny equal rights to a minority of people in Alabama, if asked if they'd like to do so in a referendum.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Nope, unfortunately, civil rights in this country don't have a history of unfolding that way. Doesn't change the truthfulness of my headline. Gay marriage became legalized in Alabama today. The fact that you don't like the method in which that was accomplished is irrelevant.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Thread title implies so.

Truth be told, the states really didn't really have much to do with these victories. The success of the gay rights movement has been federalism at it's finest.
Alabama voters approved a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in 2006. A federal judge in Mobile, Callie V.S. Granade, ruled last month that the state must recognize same-sex marriages. She put a hold on her order that was to expire Monday.
(NBC News)

I was thinking that a law had been pushed through for gay marriage, not the other way around. Silly me. So is Gay marriage now mandated in 50 States?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
I was thinking that a law had been pushed through for gay marriage, not the other way around. Silly me. So is Gay marriage now mandated in 50 States?
No that won't happen until SCOTUS issues their ruling on the Michigan case. They're hearing arguments in April, decision expected this June.

In this case, SCOTUS merely refused to hold a lower federal court ruling that already established a right to SSM.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010

Thread title implies so.

Nitpicking over thread titles, eh?

When you have no other argument ...

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

Thread title implies so.

Title implies that gay marriage is now legal in Alabama. Nothing more, nothing less.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So this happened because a Federal judge decided to shoot down a State law banning gay marriage based on his/her interpretation of Federal Law/The Constitution? I'd say that is within their purview as long as it's tested in SCOTUS and it was. I'm sensing that gay marriage will be legal in the entire country in the near future.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
In a 7-2 decision
Without looking anything up, I'm going waaay out on a limb here and predicting that the two dissenting opinions came from Justice Tweedle dee and Justice Tweedle dum.

I mean Scalia and Thomas.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
No that won't happen until SCOTUS issues their ruling on the Michigan case. They're hearing arguments in April, decision expected this June.

In this case, SCOTUS merely refused to hold a lower federal court ruling that already established a right to SSM.
And that part to me should be pretty telling how they will rule case come their way.

----------

Without looking anything up, I'm going waaay out on a limb here and predicting that the two dissenting opinions came from Justice Tweedle dee and Justice Tweedle dum.

I mean Scalia and Thomas.
You mean the 2 who in any lower court would of been kick out and disbarred then yep.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Alabama becomes 37th state to legalize gay marriage

The people who feel really strongly against gay marriage will always fight it.

Social reform is a gradual process. Some push for freedoms, others hold the line, and everyone else is gradually convinced of the merits of the change (and / or the lack of merit against it).

Some change their minds while they live while others never change their minds, but are replaced over time by those who grow up with it and eventually those taking the new freedom for granted.

I learned from others that dudes kissing is wrong. So I can't stand watching two dudes kiss. But that is MY issue, no one else's. Even if I don't change - if I don't teach that feeling to others, that feeling will go extinct. As it should.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Social reform is a gradual process. Some push for freedoms, others hold the line, and everyone else is gradually convinced of the merits of the change (and / or the lack of merit against it).

Some change their minds while they live while others never change their minds, but are replaced over time by those who grow up taking the new freedom for granted.

I learned from others that dudes kissing is wrong. So I can't stand watching two dudes kiss. But that is MY issue, no one else's. Even if I don't change - if I don't teach that feeling to others, that feeling will go extinct. As it should.
How do you feel about girls kissing? ;) Honestly, I'm not keen on boys kissing, but don't feel it should be illegal.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
How do you feel about girls kissing? ;) Honestly, I'm not keen on boys kissing, but don't feel it should be illegal.
If everything that I don't like seeing were to be banned, the world would be populated by only hot naked young adult women.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
If everything that I don't like seeing were to be banned, the world would be populated by only hot naked young adult women.
Kissing, too. They have to be kissing. :p

Elaine: "What is so appealing to men about a catfight?"

Jerry: "Because men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other, there's a chance they might somehow kiss."

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA

Like it, of course. But there in lies the irony:

'Protecting' masculinity is a major goal of homophobia. But by homophobia, most references actually mean 'gayophobia'. Lesbianism is often presented as supporting masculinity so it's allowed, even encouraged. Right up to the point women start raising kids without men and masculinity is threatened again.

Masculinity is the expression of maleness. If the expression of my maleness requires the suppression of your maleness, that's not masculinity worth having.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There is a huge game of limbo going on with the SCOTUS, they ruled the marriages to start, but then will have a major ruling in the summer. So it's possible that they allow it to stand today but overturn the whole thing in a few months.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Like it, of course. But there in lies the irony:

'Protecting' masculinity is a major goal of homophobia. But by homophobia, most references actually mean 'gayophobia'. Lesbianism is often presented as supporting masculinity so it's allowed, even encouraged. Right up to the point women start raising kids without men and masculinity is threatened again.

Masculinity is the expression of maleness. If the expression of my maleness requires the suppression of your maleness, that's not masculinity worth having.
There is some interesting psychology going on with masculinity. Speaking philosophically (lol), when I see two women kissing, first off I'm attracted to women, secondly I don't see that precluding their sexual interest in me. Men, I just don't see a sexual attraction and am not sure how innate vs educated that feeling is, but it feels innate to me. And it also reinforces the idea that sexual orientation is not a choice, it's DNA. I guess we are off the thread topic, lol. :p

There is a huge game of limbo going on with the SCOTUS, they ruled the marriages to start, but then will have a major ruling in the summer. So it's possible that they allow it to stand today but overturn the whole thing in a few months.
That would seem counter productive, a tease with repercussions if it were to be reversed at a later date.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Highly unlikely. I doubt they didn't consider the fact that they're ruling on this in a few months when they made today's decision. They know exactly what they're doing. The remaining state bans are toast.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
No one will make more work for themselves. ..knowingly. I see no world in which this could possibly happen.