Alabama becomes 37th state to legalize gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 9, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think I just saw a pig fly by my windows. In a 7-2 decision about an hour ago, SCOTUS refused to stop same sex marriages from beginning in Alabama today. Alabama is the 37th state to recognize same sex marriages. This will probably also remove any doubt that a few people may have on how SCOTUS will rule on this issue in June. A 7-2 decision to allow the lower court ruling to take effect is pretty telling.

Link

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

All of these "conservative religious" states are pushing through gay marriage. What does this actually represent? The evolution of views as to what Christianity should mean, throwing in the towel, choosing one's battles, or a political adjustment to gain political advantage? Personally, I think it's a combination of the first two. The people who feel really strongly against gay marriage will always fight it.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

So Alabama put forth a referendum that was voted on by the people, legalizing gay marriage by majority vote?

Thread title implies so.

Wouldn't a more apropos title people make a reference to some court ruling?

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Truth be told, the states really didn't really have much to do with these victories. The success of the gay rights movement has been federalism at it's finest.

5. zin macrumors 6502

I don't know why you're getting so hung up on semantics. A court ruling was the first course of action that came to my mind when I read the title.

Mostly because any sane person would already know that a majority of people in Alabama would be more than happy to deny equal rights to a minority of people in Alabama, if asked if they'd like to do so in a referendum.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Nope, unfortunately, civil rights in this country don't have a history of unfolding that way. Doesn't change the truthfulness of my headline. Gay marriage became legalized in Alabama today. The fact that you don't like the method in which that was accomplished is irrelevant.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

(NBC News)

I was thinking that a law had been pushed through for gay marriage, not the other way around. Silly me. So is Gay marriage now mandated in 50 States?

8. TimelessOne macrumors regular

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He's just rying to save people from burning in Hell... :rolleyes:

10. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No that won't happen until SCOTUS issues their ruling on the Michigan case. They're hearing arguments in April, decision expected this June.

In this case, SCOTUS merely refused to hold a lower federal court ruling that already established a right to SSM.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nitpicking over thread titles, eh?

When you have no other argument ...

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Title implies that gay marriage is now legal in Alabama. Nothing more, nothing less.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So this happened because a Federal judge decided to shoot down a State law banning gay marriage based on his/her interpretation of Federal Law/The Constitution? I'd say that is within their purview as long as it's tested in SCOTUS and it was. I'm sensing that gay marriage will be legal in the entire country in the near future.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Without looking anything up, I'm going waaay out on a limb here and predicting that the two dissenting opinions came from Justice Tweedle dee and Justice Tweedle dum.

I mean Scalia and Thomas.

15. TimelessOne macrumors regular

And that part to me should be pretty telling how they will rule case come their way.

----------

You mean the 2 who in any lower court would of been kick out and disbarred then yep.

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Alabama becomes 37th state to legalize gay marriage

Social reform is a gradual process. Some push for freedoms, others hold the line, and everyone else is gradually convinced of the merits of the change (and / or the lack of merit against it).

Some change their minds while they live while others never change their minds, but are replaced over time by those who grow up with it and eventually those taking the new freedom for granted.

I learned from others that dudes kissing is wrong. So I can't stand watching two dudes kiss. But that is MY issue, no one else's. Even if I don't change - if I don't teach that feeling to others, that feeling will go extinct. As it should.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How do you feel about girls kissing? ;) Honestly, I'm not keen on boys kissing, but don't feel it should be illegal.

18. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

If everything that I don't like seeing were to be banned, the world would be populated by only hot naked young adult women.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Kissing, too. They have to be kissing. :p

Elaine: "What is so appealing to men about a catfight?"

Jerry: "Because men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other, there's a chance they might somehow kiss."

20. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

True, I'll also make the case that I do not like seeing hot naked women not kissing. I DEMAND IT :mad:

My existence would be ironic.

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Like it, of course. But there in lies the irony:

'Protecting' masculinity is a major goal of homophobia. But by homophobia, most references actually mean 'gayophobia'. Lesbianism is often presented as supporting masculinity so it's allowed, even encouraged. Right up to the point women start raising kids without men and masculinity is threatened again.

Masculinity is the expression of maleness. If the expression of my maleness requires the suppression of your maleness, that's not masculinity worth having.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is a huge game of limbo going on with the SCOTUS, they ruled the marriages to start, but then will have a major ruling in the summer. So it's possible that they allow it to stand today but overturn the whole thing in a few months.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is some interesting psychology going on with masculinity. Speaking philosophically (lol), when I see two women kissing, first off I'm attracted to women, secondly I don't see that precluding their sexual interest in me. Men, I just don't see a sexual attraction and am not sure how innate vs educated that feeling is, but it feels innate to me. And it also reinforces the idea that sexual orientation is not a choice, it's DNA. I guess we are off the thread topic, lol. :p

That would seem counter productive, a tease with repercussions if it were to be reversed at a later date.

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Highly unlikely. I doubt they didn't consider the fact that they're ruling on this in a few months when they made today's decision. They know exactly what they're doing. The remaining state bans are toast.

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No one will make more work for themselves. ..knowingly. I see no world in which this could possibly happen.