Alabama Church Proudly Quotes Adolf Hitler in Billboard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jun 6, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Conservatives LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE comparing Obama to Hitler, but have absolutely no problem directly quoting the fuhrer in their own billboard. Absolutely disgusting. But at least they admit that they indoctrinate children the same way as Hitler did. :mad::mad::mad:

Link

Attached Files:

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's an honest mistake.

He probably had no idea that Hitler was so unpopular.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I can just imagine this decision making process:

"Hmmm, should we quote Hitler or Hoover?"

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I doubt they knew the source of that quote. It may have also been used prior to that.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Look more closely at the billboard.

They attribute the quote.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think the point that the sign implies that you should be diligent and vigilant in guiding your children ... or somebody else - potentially somebody extremely evil - will do it for you. However, the sign is certainly in poor taste.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I had to zoom in. Assuming that is real, it is very strange and in poor taste.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

While I agree it is in poor taste, there is no doubt that Hitler is a person who was an effective leader. Not everything the man did was horrible. Even the most despicable people can have a good side. Fidel Castro was certainly not known for being a nice guy, however he walked amongst the poorest in his country to shake hands and speak to the people.

Basically even the worst people can say somethings that are worth repeating.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So, here you are sticking up for Hitler! And continuing to criticize Sgt. Bergdahl, who I'm sure did some non-horrible things as well without knowing an iota of what we know about Hitler.

Wow...

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Sticking up for Hitler? Now that is a pretty big mischaracterization of what I said. I was pretty clear, that Hitler wasn't exactly a nice guy but that doesn't mean that we can't learn from him. I'm sure we could learn something from SGT Bergdahl, as well. Do you feel that there was nothing Hitler said or did that we can't learn from?

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Oh we can learn plenty from him - though some obviously need to learn a bit more. Indoctrinating youth (which is the message of this particular billboard) is not one of them.

And yes, I'm sure not everything he did was horrible. I mean he could have sent many more people to their deaths in gas chambers, but I guess he didn't out of the goodness of his heart...

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Mass Murderers often say things that others consider good.

No person on the planet should quote Hitler when he is talking about youth.

His idea of "helping" the youth was to indoctrinate them to hate.

I'm quit sure an educated "pastor" would know such a thing.

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Certainly an interesting choice for a historical quote.

Hitler was quite the orator and I'm sure he has said dozens of things that are ripe with profoundness.

Would I use any of those quotes to back my position? HELL NO. Same for Stalin, Mao, Che, Castro, or Pol Pot.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, read the billboard carefully. A parent could take this to mean train your child right and they will keep that training all of their days. It is a statement that I agree with. However, I am not a Christian and don't feel that a church is where a child should learn the important lessons but rather the parents.

To this day, I can hear my father or grandfather's voice in my head when I'm working on a task. My grandfather always said to do the job right the first time. My father always said, you should never leave a job half done. Many other lessons from those two highly influential people remain in my mind long after they have passed.

I hope that my daughter remembers the lessons that I've told her, even after I'm gone.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yeah...he was really a swell guy and so misunderstood. He certainly had his good side, and was nice to his dog. That little genocide indiscretion certainly doesn't minimize all his good points.

OK...this one beyond the pale.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think you are twisting the point being made.

It wouldn't be possible to rise to power if he wasn't capable of leadership, and rallying people. One can concede to this point while also acknowledging he was evil.

"Mein Kampf" is certainly full of notable passages, but to use them for anything other than analysis and historical context would absolutely be in bad taste.

From a church especially? Really? No one on staff had any idea that Hitler was one of the worst of worst in the 20th century?

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I do believe that it was in bad taste for the church to use the quote. I also believe they could have communicated the same message with quotes from many other people who are far less polarizing and well, EVIL.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

IS THIS BILLBOARD REAL? If so, who at Life Savers Ministries (named after candy? :p) completely lost their minds? Lol. :eek:

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What have I recently said?

Or genocidal monomaniacal fascists, for that matter.

At least he madethetrainsrunontime, puttheillegitmateuppityusurpersintheirplace or builttheautobahns, is what I presume hicks from the sticks might see as admirable characteristics.

Make no mistake, American conservatism isn't conservative; there's nothing they want to conserve except privilege. It's authoritarian radicalism, addled by religion, with deep roots in white supremacy. Corporations are people, my friend, and so truly it's fascist to its core.

These people can not be reasoned with. There's nothing that they advocate that has turned out to be correct. Nothing.

By any empirical measure, why would you bet on a constantly losing horse? Which is why so many fellow travellers that I would normally agree with here, the ones who attempt to split the difference, disappoint me. Disdain, contempt and mockery is far more useful. Drive them back into the shadows where they can stroke their muzzles and fondle their Bircherite pamphlets.

20. localoid, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The "owns the youth" quote is from Hitler's remarks at the Reichsparteitag (Reich party convention), in 1935. (From: Means Used by the Nazi Conspiractors in Gaining Control of the German State)

"He alone, who owns the youth, gains the Future! Practical consequences of this doctrine: The boy will enter the Jungvolk (boy 10-14) and the Pmpf (members of the Jungvolk) will come to the Hitler Youth, and the boy of the Hitler Youth will join the SA, the SS and the other formations, and the SA man and the SS man will one day join the Labor Service, and from there he will go to the Armed Forces, and the soldiers of the people will return again to the organization of Movement, the Party, the SA, the SS, and never again will our people be so depraved as they were at one time."

[​IMG]

I believe the above translates to something like " Build! Youth hostels and homes"

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Your quote is not applicable. Or do you not know what "defending" means?

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, lol, lol. Thanks for the laugh! :D Apparently what you don't understand is that the horrible things he set in motion completely overshadow his leadership qualities or this is one heck of a TROLL post. Grats.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I've twisted nothing. The idea of pointing out Hitler's leadership qualities seems to ignore where he led Germany.

It is beyond my understanding how anyone can, in the light of the Holocaust, even consider him anything other that one of the most evil people of the 20th century the ...even if he was nice to his dog and was an effective speaker.

I just can't believe this stuff...

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Other "effective" leaders who must also have had a good side ...

Stalin
    Mao
    Pol Pot
    Charles Manson
    Jim Jones
    Idi Amin
    Ayatollah Khomeini
    Muammar Gaddafi

25. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm curious, where did anyone say Hitler wasn't evil...like exactly.