Alabama high school threatens to cancel prom if lesbian attends

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Nov 10, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.examiner.com/x-17183-Bir...l-threatens-to-cancel-prom-if-lesbian-attends

*sigh* The more I see crap like this, the more I wish we let them secede in the 1800s

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The principal is way out of line on this one.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I'd rather see no one go, than to have her discriminated against. That is wrong. If I were her, I would have just taken my date, and not said a word to anyone. If I were to bring a guy to my high school prom (which I had intended to, but no one I wanted to go with came along) I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, and would have just shown up with my date.

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It's not too late.

5. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Yeah, that's the liberty-and-justice-for-all spirit that built America...how dare she not enlist some random Y-chromosomer for arm candy!

"If we allow lesbians in, why, next year, it'll be interracial couples!":eek:

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It seems as if she knew what the reaction would be and wanted to force a showdown. Pure speculation on my part, and I could be totally wrong.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think they should still cancel it. Not because a student is a lesbian, but rather because the principal forgot how to run a school.

I mean what's next are they going to stop prom if a Muslim student attends, a Jewish student, a handicapped student?

If there was another reason of not letting her go, that would be a different story. (Like of she planned to pull a Carrie or something). Those other reasons are missing.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, she helped plan the thing, so someone on the the committee, which usually have direct contact with the administration, probably knew she was gay...

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I don't think they'll get that joke. ;)

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Holy crap! I'm back in 1935! Oh, wait, you said Alabama. Yeah, no, still the year 2009.

This is why we should annex all third-world states.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I think this too. I know that I used to be in a gay "attention" stage, where I wanted the whole world to know I'm gay and make a big deal out of it. And then the "newness" of coming out wore off and now I don't give a s*** if people know. She knew this would happen.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I thought the Prom had nothing to do with the school. I mean, for us our Prom was sponsored, themed and organized by our graduating class. School had no jurisdiction whatsoever. (They only have if you are wearing something that represents the school like the logo o uniform, but hey it's a prom, no one wear that!) Our Prom took place in a separate place from school. Our school was against it (we were to say the least, not the best behaved bunch [we had a gay couple] we were all cool) and fought every way to prevent our Prom from happening, but in the end we prevailed. Bear in mind this was in Honduras, a place where raging Catholicism is present and gays/lesbians are viewed as scum, not people.

Honestly, principles of todays are out of what they are named after, principles.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You don't know that for a fact. If she really wanted to do something to that effect, I don't think she would have raised 200 bucks herself to promote the prom. And 200 bucks isn't much to most, but for a Highschool student in Alabama, it's quite a bit of cash to throw at a dance.

I think what we have hear is just a good ol' fashioned redneck-o-thon.

14. David G. macrumors 65816

I'm guessing what's next is that a joke about the three walking into a bar will be made.;)

As to her not being allowed to go, That's totally ridiculous, of course she should be allowed to go! She's not an alien from another planet! Geez!

!!!!!!

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It doesn't matter if she wants the whole world to know that she's a lesbian, it's not right to discriminate against her. No one should, quite frankly, give a sh*t who she arrives or leaves with.

Then again, I have the impression that Alabama is sort of... still back there in the early 1900s somehow.

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You're right, I don't. But I imagine that she would know that it would've made some people unhappy by being high-profile about her date by asking the principal. She should've just attended the dance with her date and not mentioned it to anyone, just like all the other straight people going to the dance. Then if the school wanted to throw a hissy fit about it, they would've had to do it in front of a lot of people at the dance, and it would've been much more difficult for them to do anything to her. :)

I completely agree, it's just the school being ran by a bunch of prejudice people thinking they can impose archaic rules upon the student body.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What decade are we in? And is this the United States?

We have the progressiveness to vote in a black, liberal President, we have openly gay Congress members, yet this prom is an issue?

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I always feel bad for gay people when I find out they are stuck living in the south. The best hope this girl has for a decent life is to get out of the south as soon as she can.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Good! Just imagine two chicks making out on the dance floor, how much that would turn the guys on and how much sex that would lead to! :eek:

/s

20. Queso macrumors G4

The students should give up on the official event and arrange their own parallel Prom. Let the principal sit there on his own in an empty undecorated hall whilst everyone else gets dressed up and enjoys the party.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No ****, undesignated high school parties were much better anyways.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This be true.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, we seriously need a "WTF?!?!" smiley for thread topics like this.

Best idea ever.

And I hope the damn principal gets fired.

24. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Im glad someone is man enough to stand up against Immorality. If the parents dont do it falls upon the schools...

25. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Why should this man be allowed to force his twisted sense of morality on everyone else?