Alabama Is Once Again Gutting Voting Rights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 2, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

****ing disgusting.

http://www.thenation.com/article/al...-rights-act-once-again-gutting-voting-rights/

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If more "African-Americans" would get out and vote, this wouldn't happen. They make up more than half the state's population at this point.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There I fixed it

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's the point now, just as it was the point of the Jim Crow South. Prevent blacks from voting, and whites can continue to rule, even in the minority. Throw up every legal obstacle you can, plus harass, intimidate, and frighten away as many others as you can both on the edges of the law, and in outright violation of it.

Or pack the district of a black representative with prisoners:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/janet-adkins-corinne-brown-prisoners-gerrymandering

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have no problems with voter I.D as long as it is free and easy to access. what these morons are doing is plain stupid.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's not stupid. It's evil.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you imply they are mutually exclusive, it can be both.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It can be, but it's not in this case. This is a calculated attempt to suppress Democratic votes. It is not stupid, it's long been a winning strategy. But it is evil.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you might be under the assumption that black = democrat. it is simply not so

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I am under no such assumption. From the article:

Black and poor. It appears you are under the impression those are the same thing? My statement was worded to acknowledge that it wasn't only black people who were going to be impacted by this, but also another group that tends to vote Democratic as well.

Some people only see the world in black and white, I suppose.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you still ASSUME the poor are all or mostly democrats.

13. mactastic, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, are you really this dense? I don't assume the poor are all democrats, particularly in Alabama. Plenty of poor whites there too, getting a steady diet of Glenn Beck and Alex Jones. But I do assume that there are more poor people who vote Democratic than there are poor people who vote Republican. Probably by something along the lines of a 60-40 split.

But here's the thing... The way voter suppression generally works is not that you suppress the vote of just the people who oppose you, you suppress the vote among populations where the scales are tipped against you. That will necessarily suppress the votes of some people who agree with you, but as long as you are suppressing more of your opponents voters than your own, you've tilted the scales in your favor.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Depends on where you're at. In cities, the poor tend to vote democrat. In rural areas, republican.

Though in the south especially, most people tend to vote along party lines based on race, with blacks going democrat more often than not, and whites going republican. Course there are exceptions and blah blah blah, but that's the general way it goes.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

What The Nation didn't mention is that Alabama is still going to be issuing valid photo IDs for voting purposes in the affected counties. They'll just be at each county's Board of Registrars rather than the DMV.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/state_says_closing_driver_lice.html

And while we're on the subject, plenty of other countries do require ID to vote. Maybe their ID requirements are less onerous than waiting on line at an American DMV, but the point is the same.