Alabama town putting up monument for KKK founder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Sep 11, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Just came back from Europe 3 hours ago and I'm already back in the prsi game! In today's news, the town of Selma in Alabama is putting up a monument to the founder of the KKK, Nathan Bedford Forrest. Mind you, they already have a monument to him, but now a neo-confederate group is planning a bigger and better memorial with the blessing of the town council. A petition has been started to stop this from happening. Here is the link...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...t-founder-ku-klux-klan-nathan-bedford-forrest

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw this yesterday and was appalled. I can't believe anyone could even think about doing this.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let alone doing it again. A bigger and better memorial? Please.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's one of those things that you'd think would be an Onion article, but sadly is not.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Surely it will just get vandalised/broken up?

Thats what happens to controversial monuments here in scotland anyway.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sadly, one could say that about a lot of what comes out of Republicans mouths these days.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well if it is privately funded in many ways the cities hands can be tied on it.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No one said they couldn't do it. It's just a really sick thing to do in the first place. The petition will at least let the parties responsible know that it is not appreciated.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But it won't stop it, I bet.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, not doubt about that at all.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The comments on the article are interesting, I didn't realize that someone could be a minority of "Confederate-American descent."

That is literally the only time I've seen someone reference the lineage of wartime antagonists in such a way.

Clearly it's an attempt to frame the descendants of Confederate soldiers as a protected group, but it's a fascinating effort.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You obviously never visited the darker corners of the deep south, where the War of Northern Aggression is still very much a big deal in the minds of...well...I wouldn't say an absolutely huge demographic, but a surprisingly large group of people.

I've seen and heard quite a few weird things around here. I remember a few years back, this one guy I used to work with, just completely out of the blue, walking up to me to say "you do realize we live in a defeated nation, held in check by an occupying force". Didn't have much to say in response to that. I mean really. What can you say?

And of course there are The South Will Rise Again survivalists types, who tend to act and live as if they're insurgents in the midst of a wartime scenario. I need to post some pictures of what I call Fort Chaw here one day. Apparently some guy in a fit of...I dunno...sudden insane clarity, decided to group 3 trailers tightly together and surrounded them with a literal and honest to god wooden palisade, exactly like you'd see in an old Western. And because the guy is obviously a fan of subtle suggestions, he has a flagpole with a human skull (dunno if it's real or not, probably don't want to know) hanging off what looks like a cow horn on top, hung with what has to be the largest rebel flag I've ever seen in my entire life.

...and I've seen quite a few.

So yes. It's a rather normal thing around here. It's becomes more and more obvious the farther you get away from the interstate and anything approaching what most people would call civilization.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Simple.

"Now you know how the American Indians felt, as your ancestors did the same thing to them. Sucks, doesn't it?"

Turn him from playing the victim to being the aggressor, so he doesn't have any room to talk.

BL.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I was born in the south. This type of thinking is not going away very soon. Maybe in another 100 years.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There are racists in every state. Let's not act snide about this and pretend that this is somehow isolated to one state and that everyone in Alabama should be lumped in with these goofs.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

just wow.

I am gonna quote Will Smith on this one...

18. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

The Bamas in Alabama , why is this even allowed? sure free country freedom of speech , let a bunch of muslims just just dare think of building a place of worship and I bet the town would be appalled , or sikhs , but this is ok and doesn't make national news ?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Easier said than done when you're literally being ambushed with propaganda for a war that ended about 150 years ago. If it came up in normal conversation, I might be able to slide that in there, but this guy just came running up to me with it. All I could do was widen my eyes and go "...wuh".

Pretty much this. I've been all over Alabama. Montgomery. Huntsville. Tuscaloosa. Gadsden. The cities are pretty much like any other place in America. The people are nice, racism is about slim to none, ect. ect. ect. It's just...normal.

But when you get away from the cities, head out to certain little communities squirrelled in the ridges and valleys, that's when things start getting weird. The generic hick world everyone thinks about exists mostly in these pockets. They're like the last bastion of the pre-60's south, where people are a little more paranoid, crazy, and weird.

Yeah, I've been to a bunch of big cities in Alabama. I've also been up on Sand Mountain. Let me tell you, it's like an entirely different world up there.

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Born and raised in Alabama, I'll act however I want.

"These goofs" represent more than you may care to admit.

21. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I still have family in Alabama and some of my best friends. But don't be fooled by the cities and their veneer. Yes, some amazing people and most without bigotry.

But scratch beneath the surface and you'll find 'slim to none' is neither.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah. Sortakinda. It still exists, but it's not so much of an open thing these days, and you don't hear it all that often (or at least I don't). Mostly, I'll hear from older people, usually about 40+, who sprout off their little bon mots with a tinge of guilt behind it. Like they know they shouldn't be saying it, but are going to say it anyway. They've been doing it their entire lives, and old habits and misconceptions are hard things to break.

When it comes up, it tends to be more passive aggressive rather than outright hateful, and almost always ends with "now I don't think that about all of them, but...".

Course this is in the cities and suburbs. You go out into those pockets I mentioned above, and it's likely to be a different situation entirely.

...though even then there are exceptions.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Nathan Bedford Forrest, why does that name remind me of an award-winning movie? Sometimes nastiness can lead to good in a way. I think I will go eat a box of chocolates.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That even fuels your fire more, as they had to also deal with removal of the Indians (e.g., Trail of Tears), which started roughly in the 1840s until the closing of the Frontier in 1907, when Oklahoma became a State. If they want to play the victim over 4 years (1861-1865), they have nearly 60 years of being the guilty aggressor to deal with.

In short, pot/kettle/black.

BL.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I always thought the usage of the phrase "War of Northern Aggression" was a joke until I went to see a group of Civil War re-enactors in South Carolina and they used the phrase repeatedly. I remember meeting people in Tennessee who were stepped in the war and use it to frame their thinking, which is awkward, but the "minority" of Confederate Americans is a new one.

I think if I meet someone who uses this, I'm going to mention my Union-American heritage and demand they cough up some money for abuses at Andersonville.