Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimiggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
When ripping to ALAC I have used 'artist 1 ; artist 2' to seperate multiple artists. When I load the ALAC tracks into Apple Muisc, the second artist is completely ignored. Apple Music only displays the first artist. So I am having to go back and change all of the tracks back to 'Artist 1 Feat. Artist 2'.

Does anyone know of a program for Mac similar to Apple Music that supports multiple artists correctly?
Multiple artists tags was added in the ID3v2.4 spec.

Programs like Plex, Roon, and Kodi only use the internal track tags as a starting point to find the metadata from their own online database.

I have found a couple of media managers for windows. Both Foobar2000 and MusicBee support multiple tags in fields like Artist, AlbumArtist, Composer, and Genre. But have yet to fine one for Mac.

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
As far as I know iTunes and Music (unfortunately) don‘t support multiple entries in tags (disregarding any specs or null-separators).
What you could do, is to automatically batch convert the entries with a tagger like Metadatics.
In words: set %artist% to %artist1% feat. %artist2%
I haven‘t found anything Metadatics can‘t do when fine-tuning my alac files from my Windows environment (foobar2000 & mp3Tag) for iTunes.

edit: There is an alternative player called Swinsian which states:
The option to split a genre into several values in the genre browser column (so that a track with the genre “Pop, Rock” will show up under “Pop” and “Rock”) has been extended to the artist field as well. It’s now possible to change the character used to split the field from a comma to a slash.
I have not tried this app.

Last edited:

minimiggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have had a look at Swinsain. It does support multiple entries in tags. But it only supports "," or "/". In preferences, You have to select which one you prefer to use.

"/" causes problems. Artists like "AC/DC" get split into 2 seperate artists. AC & DC.
"," causes problems. Artists like "What Price, Wonderland?" & "Hey, Revolution!"

The program I use to rip my cds, dBpoweramp, by default uses ";".
I don't know of any artists the use ";" in their name.

I have sent a message to the developers of Swinsain to see if they can add ";".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.