Alan Dershowitz Threatens to Sue UC-Bezerkeley

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Go Alan Go

I support Dershowitz and Israel. It’s time UC-Berkeley is challenged to open their closed minds.

/

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If UC-Berkeley is doing what Dershowitz is saying then I agree with him bring a suit against UC-Berkeley.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

They’ll probably allow him to speak. Now let’s see what happens outside.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hey. He's an attorney, and that's what courts are for.

So knock yourself out.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Was Von Bulow innocent ???

8. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Agreed. I can’t imagine anyone would not support his effort to encourage UC-Berkeley to examine their policies to assure they are treating everyone equally in respect to free speech.

I assume Bezerkeley will invite him so the students/anyone who wish to hear his thoughts on Israel have that opportunity.

9. ChrisWB, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017

ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Let me get this straight. If an individual wants to speak at UC Berkeley uninvited, then they have to wait 8 weeks for a permit. However, if a department invites someone to speak, then that limit does not apply.

What is the problem?

There's absolutely nothing about Israel in these rules. In fact, there's no political element whatsoever in these rules. This alt-right pundit is fabricating controversy where it does not exist, and alt-right gullible dotards are eating it up.

It is normal and expected for a public venue to have a screening process for people who apply for permits to rent their venue. It is not logical or reasonable to expect that you can walk onto a public university campus uninvited, and immediately be given a venue to speak.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Exactly. By that logic, I should be able to walk into any city, county, or public office where Roy Moore has laid down the 10 Commandments, uninvited and practice Shamanism, or Satanism. After all, Freedom of Religion.

But actually, let him have this. If he wants to spend his money to do it, good luck. But he nor anyone who believes this article should come back crying should he lose.

BL.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I always thought he was guilty.

What was his wife's name? Happy?

Just another reason not to envy the rich.

12. Gutwrench, Sep 28, 2017

Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

No, if students invite a speaker there must be an eight week advance notice. If a department extends an invitation there is no wait. He claims UC-Bezerkeley departments do not invite pro Israel speakers so there’s disparate treatment.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Please take a moment to understand the facts. See above as a starting point. Once you do I’m confident you’ll support him too.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

List in any documentation where the department is obligated to invite speakers, or extend an invitation, solely because students have invited a speaker.

BL.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So if the departments only invite whites to speak and they are able to do so at a days notice, but blacks have to wait 8 weeks to speak you'd be okay with that?

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Her name was Sunny.
    He was convicted but won in appeal (Dershowitz was his lawyer), mainly thanks to the idiocy of the prosecutors and Sunny’s kids that basically planted/messed evidence on a case that would’ve been won easily.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Except maybe on the Quad.

And even that probably has a waiting list.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Doh! Of course.

My memory.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're missing the point. From the OP's subsequent post:

Nothing to do with race. This has to do with students inviting someone to speak, but the OP believing that if the students invite someone to speak, the department should/must extend the invitation so there is no 8-week wait.

I'm awaiting a citation showing where a department is obligated to extend an invitation after students invite a speaker to campus. IF they are obligated, then there may be an issue. If they are not, this is just an over exaggerated bloviation of drivel that people are eating up like valium.

BL.

18. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Right. This is akin to walking into any public office and attempting to hold a political rally without a permit or permission.

It is the prerogative of the university's departments to invite whomever they please. No one has the right to be invited to hold a political rally at a university. That's simply not a reasonable thing to expect. This entire topic is completely illogical.

Case in point: this is a red herring. Has the situation that you described occurred? Is it in any way comparable to what HAS occurred?

The theoretical situation that you concocted describes discrimination against a federally protected group. That's far different than the real situation: the university makes all political activists apply for a permit to rent a venue for a political rally.

19. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

No, he didn’t. The point is Dershowitz’s claim that UC-Bezerkeley isn’t treating free speech equally. Zombie Acorn was only substituting race to help explain the concept.

I’m not obligated to present a citation to prove Dershowitz’s claim to you. I support his effort. I can’t imagine anyone would not.

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

Fairly simple policy. Dershowitz is angling for an anti-Jewish theme. In any case, the UC has more access to lawyers and can run up the costs for Dershowitz. That's the beauty of America.

The laws extend to the students, not necessarily guest speakers, invited or otherwise.

21. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

The thread is not illogical. It’s a discussion of Dershowitz’s claim that UC-Bezerkeley treats pro and anti-Israel speakers differently. He’s drawing attention to it because students who wish to hear a pro-Israel speaker are disadvantaged.

Aren’t you at least a bit interested to learn if UC-Bezerkeley is in fact biased against certain speech?

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

Or UCB is avoiding Dershowitz because given his past and his authorial works, he's a nutcase.

23. ChrisWB, Sep 28, 2017

ChrisWB macrumors 6502

It is completely illogical.

No one has the right to exclusively hear political views that they agree with. Students who wish to hear a specific person give a speech or hold a rally can apply for a permit to rent a venue. This process is the same for all speakers, irrespective of political affiliation or beliefs.

No. Because you're arguing that departments HAVE to invite this one specific individual, otherwise his free speech is under attack.

It is illogical.

24. citizenzen, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a tricky question, really.

But I would say that once you allow any group to espouse [legal] social/political/religious beliefs, then you're obligated to open that channel up to all [legal] beliefs. And each group should be treated equally. The university should provide an open forum and facilitate an exchange of ideas, even the ones that are sometimes challenging to accept. It's a standard that I would expect all public universities to uphold.

25. Gutwrench, Sep 28, 2017

Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m arguing nothing. I’m merely bringing attention to Dershowitz’s claim. I support his effort to make Berkeley examine their policy so they treat free speech equally. If they aren’t treating people fairly and disadvantaging students in the process, isn’t exposing it a worthy thing to do?