Alan Dershowitz Threatens to Sue UC-Bezerkeley

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Sep 28, 2017.

1. A.Goldberg, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think the allegation is Berkley's department appointment speakers all come with the same viewpoint. Speakers with dissenting opinions would not normally be appointed by the school. If Berkeley appointed speakers from multiple viewpoints, there's probably little merit to sue on. This allegedly is not the case.

Did you just call Alan Dershowitz an alt-right pundit?

2. BoxerGT2.5, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Alan Dershowitz is an alt-right pundit? Either this is an error or we've diluted the term "alt-right" to the point we mine as well not even use it any longer.

3. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

My only knowledge of this guy comes through the lens of the linked Daily Caller article, which sources its info from "Fox and Friends". I acknowledge that I was wrong about him being an alt-right pundit.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He’s a democrat and a Jewish one at that.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Okay then, lets say the departments invite KKK members every day, but don't invite BLM members and make them wait 8 weeks. No problem? They aren't protected groups after all.

This is thinly veiled antisemitism by the school, thats pretty obvious.

6. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I heard Dershowitz earlier today and that site is the only place I found the story. Btw, he was/is a strong Hillary supporter and advocate who probably considers himself a moderate liberal.

I’m a very strong supporter of Israel and enjoy hearing Dershowitz speak.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It becomes an issue if its heavily slanted towards one particular view point/group. UC Berkeley is a publicly funded school, if there are systematic barriers to particular groups speaking on campus that should be a concern.

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

You would have to demonstrate that this targets Pro-Jewish speakers. Don't take Dershowitz's take on it alone. If the school treats all guest speakers the same (8 weeks notice for student invitees, none for school invited invitees), then it stands to reason there is no issue. You would have to show that the school goes out of its way to purposefully invite non-pro Israeli guest speakers versus pro-Israel guest speakers.

Funny how this all started a couple years ago after UCB brought back a class on Palestine's history. As there's been little to no Anti-Jewish sentiment struck on UCB prior to 2015.

I'm not sure what or how Dershowitz's political affiliation matters. Plenty of Democrats who love and hate Israel. Plenty of Republicans who love and hate Israel.

9. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m not Jewish but to those who are, may you have an easy fast.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should be pretty easy, get a list of their speakers. When they are all liberal nut jobs you have your proof.

On your last statement I'd say plenty of Democrats who hate Israel, and plenty of Republicans who love Israel. Anti Israel sentiment is a fringe on the right, it's pretty much a platform point on the left.

11. Zenithal, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

So you've got no one. Alright then.

Opinion. Opinion. And more opinion. Great. Love of Israel on the right is powered mostly by religion. That's it. The US love for Israel is powered mainly by religion; the belief that Jesus will come back and that Israel is the chosen land. Though most would be aghast to find that Jesus, if he even existed, would be a brown person. Secondly, the other love is how what we give them in terms of aid comes back to our industrial complex, as that is what they're made to purchase. All those senators are helping their constituents. The majority of weaponry and avionics are made by hardworking Americans.

It's all about money. Not about feelings. Even those who seek Israel as a rebirth nation don't follow what they preach. Historically, Libs decrease military spending and funding. Which in turn hurts the American military industrial complex. Reps. increase spending and budgets, which in turn helps these people. It's simple stuff.

12. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Which would be protected under the 1st, wouldn't it?

So what do we really have here:
    Speakers invited by students need to be vetted for 8 weeks by the university
    The university itself can fasttrack speakers it invites itself.

Nothing really evil bout that.

Now you might say that Berkeley leans a certain way, and that needs to change.

But I'm quite sure if you'd look at the speakers invited to the "North Dakota agriculture college" (I made that up) you'd find very few lefty viewpoints represented.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If it's systematically preventing left wing people from speaking on campus I would be equally against that. College is about getting introduced to multiple views and choosing a path, not being locked in an echo chamber.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

Not sure how it is in Maple Syrup country, but in the US, universities typically churn out more liberal thinkers because they expose them to different cultures. Realistically, the majority of people who maintain their close knit views went to small, religious colleges.

16. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Absolutely not. UC-Berkeley is a public university and must comply with the First Amendment.

17. 0007776 Suspended

At the worst it is antizionism. There are plenty of Jews who are against the human rights abuses of the State of Israel and it is wrong to connect being against the State of Israel to being antisemetic.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you guys can connect illegals with brown people I sure as hell can connect anti-israel sentiment to antisemitism.

19. 0007776 Suspended

Go for it, just don’t expect to be taken seriously.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's fine, continue to rally with the neo Nazis.

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

LOL Huh? Don't neo-Nazis vote Republican?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh but they rally with Democrats when it comes to getting rid of the Jews in Israel.

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Great, let me know when they start voting blue. Should be able to flip Alabama and Mississippi right quick. :rolleyes:

Sorry buddy, the Nazis stand on the same side as you. They vote for the same candidates you would vote for if you were American. Bet that really messes with you head huh?