Alaska first-graders accused of plot to poison classmate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Mar 31, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well they stat young in america I am so proud.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:49f849006454486d90cb424c2c6ec921

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

first graders, there is hope yet for them, hope they get the help they need.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

In all honesty silica gel does have "DO NOT EAT" all over the outside, so to the rationale of a first grader, I could see why they would think their plan would work.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Sad they actually thought this up but young enough to be helped.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    So you CAN eat them!

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's what happens if you give your kids seaweed for lunch.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In all fairness growing up in Alaska will **** a person up. I've seen "Living Alaska" on HGTV and in doing so got to thinking that these people who move there must really hate man kind and just want to shoot moose, maim animals, and build **** with trees. Their offspring are bound to be ****ed up.

11. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well the palins are a good example.

12. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I would only eat them if they were farm raised, organic, silica gel beads.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't get it, but I laughed anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    I think it's the 24 hour sunlight that drives most people crazy. That, and being miserable all year round.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There's also the TV show "Alaska state Troopers". Bunch of methed out white people with guns who's idea of a fun Friday is go to the tavern and get lit up. Exit stage left to spray paint some things, steal a car stereo (they actually still have the ones where the face detaches), and sodomize small burrowing animals of different make ups.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Sounds like where I live, but with Caribou.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

You live where caribou go out spray-painting and stealing car stereos?

I so want to live there. Around here, it's the marmots that pull that crap.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, we have a distinct lack of caribou here in the south. Got plenty of skunks, though. Possums too!

Oh, and we've been getting a steady influx of armadillos recently, which blows my mind.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well luckily silica gel isn't actually toxic. Sounds like the girls could use some use some therapy. At the age of a first grader (6 YO) these girls probably have little idea of what their actions even mean.

I read a study recently that said kids don't understand the irreversible nature of death until at least 3-4 YO (~10% and 60% respectively understand death is permanent). It's not until 5-7 they understand death creates nonfunctionality, meaning dead people can't do things (feel, move, dream) and that death is universal. Some kids learn faster than others.

I presume that more likely there is one kid who does not understand death, the leader, and two impressionable kids, the followers.

When I was in elementary school, months after Columbine one of my classmates told me he "when I grow up I'm going to buy a gun and shoot you". The poor kid had the worst timing. Though he was young he grew into a very peculiar individual and probably never really got the help he needed.

19. vrDrew, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Emphasis mine.

I'm not really sure Third-graders are really capable of committing Conspiracy, which is the usual charge leveled at groups of people who talk about performing some nefarious deed. They may very well have talked about doing in the little girl - and maybe went to the extreme of collecting silica gel packets.

The police obviously didn't think it was a criminal matter; leaving it in the hands of school authorities. Who will devise some appropriate punishment. Which is a bit of a puzzle to me: How do you teach these kids that its not OK to plan to commit murder in such a way that doesn't either trivialize the act itself; and yet excessively punish 6 year olds for letting their imaginations run away with themselves?

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It doesn't say the victim was a bully, that's a rather silly jump to make otherwise.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

None of this is exactly new... incidents aren't frequent, but the problem existed in the 1980s as well.

Makes no difference. I don't know all the details but the school's principal needs to do his job. Or hers, one's gender is immaterial when it comes to doing the damn job. Get the parents involved, or parent, get justice. Make the kid learn what is socially acceptable and what is not.

Hate to say it, but replace all the ipads in classrooms with cameras. America didn't need iPads decades ago to excel in fields and the kids would be too busy texting, sexting, or playing games anyway. Developing countries are still doing quite well with pencil and paper, too. And since they do everything better than the US, and for le$$, obviously paper and pencil are underrated. Yet it's the companies telling us that their tablet toys will make everything better... but I digress. Cameras. Security. Or at least bring back punishment standards from the 1930s. But with cameras, the right bullies can be punished and those framed won't get punishment that didn't deserve...

22. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone