Alaska Supreme Court reverses ban on write-in candidate lists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 29, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Alaska Supreme Court entered an Order allowing voters to be given a list of write-in candidates.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/27/news/la-pn-alaska-senate-write-in-ruling-20101028

Talk radio seems pretty angry about this, and have implied that this is a conspiracy to benefit Murkowski or the Democrats. Is this turning into the western front of the republican civil war (Florida on the east). Out of curiosity, when was the last time a Democrat appointed an Alaska Supreme Court justice?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Miller seems to be in trouble.....following bad publicity over ethics violations;

polls show his support seems to be dropping

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Never thought I'd be rooting for Murkowski, but there it is.

As for Joe Miller...I don't think much of him as a politician, but I do like his joke book.

4. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

This pretty funny:

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I've been rooting for Murkowski ever since she said, "I'm the one woman politician who won't quit on Alaska." :D

6. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

No, no, I've been rooting for McAdams since I saw this, frankly, incredibly persuasive advertisement:

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The retirement age has to go up. People live longer than they used to.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The French appear to have a problem with that.

But then they are French. :rolleyes:

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So do we - and I'm sure other countries are the same.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And if they ever cure Cancer, or solve the mystery of the ageing gene, then throw all the demographic models right out the window.

The Great New World would not be so great, IMO.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Write ins are way ahead of the GOP and Democratic contenders.

It looks like an independent, Murkowski (after being dumped as GOP candidate) will win by a large margin. If she wins, I can't see her being loyal to the GOP that ousted her, but also not happy with Dems, either. By default, the real Tea Party candidate (Libertarian) going against the big, standard, two party system.

This will be the first time a third party write in got this far. It's like Lieberman, but in Alaska.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure she's said that she would caucus with the Republicans, so she will be loyal to the Republicans.. Also it's not the first time a candidate has won as a write in Strom Thurmond did it in 1954 for his first term.

13. 63dot, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Ironically, that's when the Giants last won the World Series. :)

Besides the maverick/traitor/hero Joe Lieberman, maybe this type of thing, challenging the "official" party candidate, is going to become more commonplace.

The GOP has Miller (who??) as the official spoon fed candidate, and Alaskans are not ready to be told who to vote for. Like Connecticut, and Minnesota before that, people are ready to step out of the "Check R or Check D" comfort zone of the ballot. Being a third party voter sometimes, I applaud Alaska for shaking things up.

Murkowski is not exactly my idea of a Washington outsider, but once the party threw her to the curb, she really became the maverick. And speaking about maverick, former outsider Sarah Palin is now an insider and pretty much a puppet of the rank and file GOP. If the GOP said Che or Fidel should be the next Senator of Alaska, Palin would be out campaigning for them.

If Murkowski can win and vote her conscience, and not go with just the GOP, that will be a sign of the people of Alaska.