Alberta 2015 Election, 5 May 2015

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, May 4, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Premier of Alberta Canada has called for a general election on Cinco de Mayo, a year ahead of schedule, as a sort of referendum on budget policy. It might be interesting.

The current party in power has been continuously running the province for over 40 years, but provincial revenues have declined on the price of oil. The left-ish NDP may have a chance to gain control of the government due to the local economy. The far-right Wild Rose party are also raising a bit of a fuss and could be, ahem, a thorn in the ruling party's side.

Anyone from around there to weigh in on this?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I love Banff. That's about all I have to offer.

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Alberta is the equivalent of Texas in Canada. Albertans are known to be far more conservative than the ROC (Rest of Canada). No matter how much they screw up, the current party will still win majority, the weird case scenario would be the Wild Rose party winning. The PC (current party) is currently slightly more left than the Democrats in the USA, Wild Rose would probably be in between the Democrats and the GOP of USA.

4. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

As a British Columbian, I can tell you that whoever Alberta votes in as the ruling party, the rest of us will probably still view Albertans as the crazy rednecks of Canada.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Looks like the ruling party is being replaced by one a little more to the left. Full majority, no coalition this time.

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'm honestly pleasantly shocked :eek:

7. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Perhaps it is a bit troubling, but of the 53 seats the NDP won, only a very small number of them were won by full majority, most in Edmonton. The PCP and the WRP split the opposition, leaving the NDP to dine on the scraps and ride into power. This could prove a problem in the next election, unless Notley's crüe can make a very, very favorable impression on Albertans.