Alex Jones rises against iPhone/iPad manufacturing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Halamolo, May 27, 2010.

1. Halamolo macrumors regular

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

stupid. yes there are suicides. but what they dont think about is why. it could be non work related. also there are suicides in the us. if they are work related it is sad.

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That a "blood" phone, you know.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

“massive” amounts of suicides?:confused:

“I drilled into an iPhone and it gave off this poisonous smoke.”:confused::confused:

What’s with him always putting his hand to his mouth like he’s about to throw up?:)

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Maybe Steve will bring out a red iPhone for the keynote.

7. wickywahwah macrumors regular

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I have never heard of any of them.

I hope I don't run into anyone saying, "Oh an iPhone? You're supporting companies that employ suicidal people."

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Perhaps the good people of the US of A should focus on their own problems at home instead of worrying about what happens outside of it's borders? You know, that huge pipe GUSHING gallons and gallons of oil into the water. No to mention that we as people don't know how to make anything our selves anymore. We just off load it. Focus on that before you start worrying about how other countries run things.

That's the problem in America. We like to talk about it and discuss it. We never really DO anything about it. We LOVE pointing fingers. :rolleyes:

Let China deal with the ****. It's not like Apple is pushing these people off the ledge. I guess people in china DO NOT have a choice in working there? They are FORCED to work there? Yeah, my point.

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

Andy Ihnatko on Macbreak Weekly said that Foxconn employs over 400,000 workers. So 10-12 suicides is not that big. It's sad, yes. But how many industries with less workers have more suicides?

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why can't americans worry about both? Are they only able to focus on a single thing at a time?

13. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

quote from vid. "ipads and iphones cost apple $20 to make and they sell them for massive profits" nice made up stats

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That gushing pipe really does need to be stopped soon.

15. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

This is China. Are you talking about the Foxconn? You are going too far, dude.

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

In the end, that's the truth!

People just don't care if 100 or 100,000 people die, as long as their favorite product isn't dripping blood, it does not matter.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Well, if American's were in a position to do so, they could. However when your own house is in disrepair, the last thing you do is go and tell others how to run/fix their own house. We have enough problems to worry about here. We don't need to put our nose in others right now. Besides, all America is - is TALK (IE - Obama).

Yes it does. BP and the government need to get their ass in gear to fix it.

18. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

300,000 in the iPhone/iPod plant alone. Apparently 500-800k employees total.
    http://9to5mac.com/Foxconn-suicides-3453480354

No, he didn't lie. That was the labor cost and he just forgot to add in the hardware costs.
    I watched the video to just over the one minute mark and closed the window.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well they are in a position to do so. Through their purchasing choices and/or through writing to apple stating their concern/dissatisfaction. Either route takes very little effort. Leaving plenty of time to similarly do the same with BP. They're not mutually exclusive.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Perhaps I missed the part where Apple is responsible for FOXCONN?

What about IBM, HP, DELL and the multitude of other large business in America that outsource/use these places as well? Where is the heat for them? Why are they not getting hazed for their dealings with FOXCONN as well?

21. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Those pictures are so disturbing.

22. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Buggered if I know. Another Rush/Glenn wannabe? Or a brilliant parody? Equally ill informed. Could be either.

But come on, it was kinda funny. A couple of big kids bloviate about "stuff" they found on teh internetz. Hold the presses: Here comes the scoop of 2010.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I never claimed as such. However apple is responsible for where it gets it's products made. It can make ethical decisions about that process and use it's demand to influence foxconn (or any other supplier). Like we saw recently with greenpeace's negative publicity about apple's environmental record - change in this regard can be very quick under such pressure.

Likewise consumers letting apple now that they're not happy with apple's manufacturing practices (either through communication or not purchasing) is pressure on apple to change suppliers/ensure foxconn/other manufacturers is up to scratch. Which is what apple are currently doing.

I completely agree that they should get "heat" or "hazed" as well.

24. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

25. goldstmarc2 macrumors newbie

Yes, because it's not like anybody has spent billions of dollars and 4 different methods of sealing it.

I'm not sure what fantasy world you come from but here in the real world you cant just wish for the pipe to stop and it stops.