Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Exposes The Dark Side Of Politics In 5 Incredible Minutes

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Now I get what all the buzz around AOC is about, this take down is epic. I don't care what side of the aisle one is on, this shows us just how corrupt the system is. She literally owns this room and those she's questioning here.

During a hearing, the freshman lawmaker created a game in which she pretended to be “a really, really bad guy” who wants to abuse the system as much as possible. Then, in a series of questions, she exposed the world of payoffs, dark money, PACs and more. She even revealed how it was perfectly legal for a lawmaker to invest in an industry, then write laws to benefit that industry and increase the value of the investment.

And as lax as the laws are for members of Congress, there are even fewer restrictions for a president.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
I watched the video, and must have missed the "game" :) Everyone knows, or should know, that most of these politicians are self-interested actors, which is why they should have as little power as possible.
Then you deny that special interest money is unlimited? That you can buy stock in the same companies who are financing your campaign and then write laws about them?

I think you guys are so clouded with hatred for this woman that you refuse to even hear the message.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Then you deny that special interest money is unlimited? That you can buy stock in the same companies who are financing your campaign and then write laws about them?

I think you guys are so clouded with hatred for this woman that you refuse to even hear the message.
I love irony, you just refused to hear his message , try reading his post again.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
I love irony, you just refused to hear his message , try reading his post again.
How many threads about this woman would you say you've started? This is my first. Go ahead and let's tally them up, I'll wait. Then we'll determine who's ironic here.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
How many threads about this woman would you say you've started? This is my first. Go ahead and let's tally them up, I'll wait. Then we'll determine who's ironic here.
still more irony. consider reading the post you are replying too instead of being so clouded with hatred....... there are no complaints about your thread, hell the guy you quoted and claimed was clouded with hatred agreed to what AOC said to a degree when he said
Everyone knows, or should know, that most of these politicians are self-interested actors, which is why they should have as little power as possible.

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010

What I meant is this was not presented as a game theory. Where was the game? Gaming the system maybe?

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
still more irony. consider reading the post you are replying too instead of being so clouded with hatred....... there are no complaints about your thread, hell the guy you quoted and claimed was clouded with hatred agreed to what AOC said to a degree when he said
That's exactly how I read that. What ever you think of AOC, she points out how corrupt the power structure is. We agree and get labeled as full of hate?
I think the fundamental difference in philosophy is the issue here.
Some of us think it's not the abuse of power that is the problem, it's the power to abuse.
Others think that there's no problem with a politician having all this power, in fact they should have even more power. We just need to elect people with the right (or left) philosophy, ie elect "good" people to wield all the power for the betterment of society. Unfortunately, that's not how it works and will never work.

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
"She's out of control. How do we get her back in her box so she doesn't upset the status quo? We already have one bampot from VT in the senate who we can't control so how do we get AOC under control? Do we unleash the National Inquirer to do the dirty?"

I think people are looking at this the wrong way. The goal is not to rid politics of bad actors, because that is impossible and unsustainable. The goal should be to continue to work on systems that can function even with self-interested actors in public offices. Her speech is really an admonishment of too much concentrated government power, and too little oversight.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
she might have points but her delivery is childish for someone who is supposed to be educated.
So you're disappointed with her bringing up the issue in a way that even a child could understand?

Only when you completely understand something would you be able to simplify it further. Moreover she wouldn't be in the chair if she doesn't understand her responsibilities.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
So you're disappointed with her bringing up the issue in a way that even a child could understand?

Only when you completely understand something would you be able to simplify it further. Moreover she wouldn't be in the chair if she doesn't understand her responsibilities.
I'll give her points here for exposing the endless stupidity of our politicians, she is still delusional in many aspects of what she thinks. her morals trump facts and that is scary no matter what side of the aisle you are on.
[doublepost=1549642528][/doublepost]
Yes, that same party and you'll notice she didn't exclude them either. It would be nice if we all agreed to end it on both sides.
that is one quality she kind of has, she is taking on her own demons , it was AWESOME when she protested outside Pelosis office :D.. do hope she learns the difference between facts & morals.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
I'll give her points here for exposing the endless stupidity of our politicians, she is still delusional in many aspects of what she thinks. her morals trump facts and that is scary no matter what side of the aisle you are on.
Would you mind elaborating on the "facts vs morals" a little more?

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch