Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Has Trump Twitter Block Ruling Turned Against Her

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-lawsuit-twitter-093123701.html
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez faces legal challenges over blocking people on Twitter

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) faces two legal challenges over her blocking of people from viewing her @AOC Twitter profile, which has more than 4.6 million followers.

Democratic former New York state Assemblyman Dov Hikind and GOP congressional candidate Joseph Saladino (aka controversial YouTuber Joey Salads) on Tuesday announced separate lawsuits against Ocasio-Cortez, on the same day the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan ruled that President Donald Trump cannot block critics from viewing his Twitter feed.

They both want Ocasio-Cortez to unblock them and other people who she has banned from viewing her posts. Ocasio-Cortez’s office did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.
plenty have said they would sue Newsom as well, God I love Liberty :D

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
I think AOC and Trump should be able to block any users as they please. Other than it being a 1A argument, it’s more about users getting butt hurt over it. I too would block whinny, crying little *******.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I think AOC and Trump should be able to block any users as they please. Other than it being a 1A argument, it’s more about users getting butt hurt over it. I too would block whinny, crying little *******.
Twitter is a cesspool for rude and no manner having peeps so not sure why elected officials would be surprised when the cesspool boils over and filth flows out.....

I don't think elected officials should be allowed to block peeps so maybe twitter should focus on cleaning up the cesspool?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I hate Trump but that won't stop me from saying that anyone should be allowed to block anyone on Twitter

Reactions: satcomer

Roric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
WI
My only question is "Are the followers she has blocked, or wishes to block, residents of her district?" If yes, then no blocking. If no, then I might be convinced.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
My only question is "Are the followers she has blocked, or wishes to block, residents of her district?" If yes, then no blocking. If no, then I might be convinced.
The First Amendment doesn't have a constituent carve-out, and it's really difficult to ascertain a person's home address through Twitter, so I just don't see this as a particularly useful reason to block people.

Now, I suspect that her office will be much more aggressive in getting freaks and weirdos banned from Twitter, and hopefully, Twitter will take that much more seriously. But, she's a member of Congress who uses Twitter as a communications platform, she doesn't get to block people, and neither does Agent Orange.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The First Amendment doesn't have a constituent carve-out, and it's really difficult to ascertain a person's home address through Twitter, so I just don't see this as a particularly useful reason to block people.

Now, I suspect that her office will be much more aggressive in getting freaks and weirdos banned from Twitter, and hopefully, Twitter will take that much more seriously. But, she's a member of Congress who uses Twitter as a communications platform, she doesn't get to block people, and neither does Agent Orange.
you spelled "mango messiah" wrong :p

Reactions: hulugu

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
If Trump can’t block people AOC can’t block people.
That's not necessarily true. Again, only if AOC's account and the people suing her meet the criteria established by the courts.

For example, the courts relied on the fact that the president's tweets had been described by former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer as “official statements by the President of the United States,” and the president’s tweets are official records, according to the National Archives.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
That's not necessarily true. Again, only if AOC's account and the people suing her meet the criteria established by the courts.

For example, the courts relied on the fact that the president's tweets had been described by former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer as “official statements by the President of the United States,” and the president’s tweets are official records, according to the National Archives.
Still I think everyone should behave equally.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
I don't really do Twitter, but maybe I am not understanding "blocking". Are they blocking people so they can't read their Tweets or blocking so they can't respond?

If it is the former, why 1) not simply have a second account to look at the account (my daughter and her friends all have multiple accounts) or 2) look at one of the aggregation services that captures it.

I really don't understand why you would want to stop someone from reading your Tweets when they have easy ways to get around the block.
[doublepost=1562852894][/doublepost]

AOC is using her account just like Trump. And like him she has an official government one, but uses her personal one to communicate policy and with her constituents.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
AOC is using her account just like Trump. And like him she has an official government one, but uses her personal one to communicate policy and with her constituents.
That's probably true. But until someone takes the time to compare the courts criteria with AOC's account and the people suing her, we don't know for sure.

Her account is most likely considered a public forum. The gray area is blocking users who are abusive, but do not arise to the level of true threats.

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
Her account is most likely considered a public forum. The gray area is blocking users who are abusive, but do not arise to the level of true threats.
I guess that is the part I don't quite understand. Are they being blocked from simply reading the Tweets, or being blocked from commenting because they are submitting abusive comments?

I think one of the people being blocked by AOC is a reporter who wrote stories she didn't like, so she blocked him.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
I think one of the people being blocked by AOC is a reporter who wrote stories she didn't like, so she blocked him.
That would probably be the kind of thing that is illegal. But I haven't read the full decision.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I guess that is the part I don't quite understand. Are they being blocked from simply reading the Tweets, or being blocked from commenting because they are submitting abusive comments?

Not unless you're being gracious with Dov Hikind who hosts a weeky radio show.

https://www.theroot.com/2-men-make-a-federal-case-out-of-being-blocked-on-twitt-1836261964
Hikind, who is founder of a group called Americans Against Anti-Semitism, told the Times that he was blocked by AOC after he criticized her for comparing the migrant detention camps at the U.S. southern border to Nazi concentration camps.

“It’s very clear based on the court’s ruling that AOC is violating my constitutional rights to free speech by excluding me,” Hikind told the Times. “She doesn’t want me to be a part of the discussion and conversation.”
Irony?

Saladino admitted to the Times that since he still stalks AOC’s account by using an “anonymous” account, he doesn’t really care that he’s been blocked. Instead, the point of his complaint, as the Times explains, “is a test of whether there is a double standard in the courts for liberals and conservatives.”
At least he admits he stalks her account.

Though admitting you stalk her account probably doesn't look good when you're complaining you were unfairly blocked.

Reactions: hulugu

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
At least he admits he stalks her account.

Though admitting you stalk her account probably doesn't look good when you're complaining you were unfairly blocked.
Which is part of what I am not understanding. Ok, so he, or anyone else for that matter, is blocked. They still have ways to see what she is Tweeting so why bother blocking someone?

Maybe I need to go to Twitter school. :confused: