Algorithms are racist again: Google Images edition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-as-google-image-search-shows-police-mugshots

Apparently when you search three black teens you get mugshots, but when you search three white teens you get some preppy kids.

Has nothing to do with stats like:

1 in every 15 black males are currently incarcerated

while:

1 in every 106 white males are currently incarcerated

or:

1 in 3 black males can expect to be incarcerated sometime in their life.

nope, Google is racist.

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Is it bad that I find this kind of hilarious? :p

3. dec. Suspended

dec.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Bane: "Speak of the devil and he shall appear."

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

So AI is nowhere near ready for real life or the makers are deliberately being malicious. With media hyping AI nowadays...

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It starts with the family.

Studies conducted by Dr. Paul Amato, Professor of Family Sociology and Demography at Pennsylvania State University show that children who grow up with both biological parents in the same household are less likely to experience a variety of cognitive, emotional and social problems. Dual-parent households often maintain higher standards of living, therefore providing more effective parenting skills with less stressful life circumstances. Examining potential advantages of a single-parent household is also beneficial. Leaving a relationship that exposes your child to marital conflict is a positive change because your child will no longer be entangled in parental discord at home. The focus of homelife shifts to the parent-child relationship and daily activities can be more structured around the child. Children of single parents are likely to develop skills of independence, responsibility and self-sufficiency at an early age.​

Percent of births considered "non-marital"

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders 17 percent

Non-Hispanic whites 29 percent

Hispanics 53 percent

American Indian and Native Alaskans 66 percent

Non-Hispanic blacks 73 percent

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Completely agree. While all the mini-Beyonce's out there telling us they don't need no man do great at getting likes on social media from their other loser friends, posting those beautiful, inspirational and motivational quotes with such marvelous scenery in the background. In reality, the numbers don't lie. I know people will chime in saying but but but I did it or I know someone who did it. Great, you/they are a one-off. Overall, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

8. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I tried this yesterday after seeing the tweet, it is intentionally misleading. You’ll notice, that the guy who tweeted, did not scroll down through the black teens images, only showing the first few image results, but did scroll down significantly for the white teens images, I would argue, to draw false comparison.

A few minutes ago, virtually the same results as yesterday

tbt.png
    tbt .png

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

These ≠ three

10. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

My mistake, you’re correct. Yesterday I searched for ‘these black teenagers’:

s.png

While it is true that there are numerous mugshots and the like, there are non-mugshot regular photos of black teens. Which, I would argue, is one reason that the guy did not scroll down.