Alias|Wavefront 'BIG NEWS'... Apple?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Boomba forwarded us this Media Alert, alerting everyone that Alias|Wavefront will be announcing something big tomorrow...

WHAT:
Alias|Wavefront will be making a major announcement regarding Maya -
news that will permanently change the shape of the 3D industry.

WHY:
3D animation technology is increasingly becoming a part of our daily lives. It is fast spreading from the entertainment and design industries
into new marketplaces. Alias|Wavefront\'s software has been used by such leading companies as Industrial Light+Magic, Sega and Nintendo to compete and win the battle for market share. This technology was used to make two of this year's Oscar-winning movies, Shrek (best animated feature) and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (best visual effects)

And now, the most respected 3D animation software in the world is about
to make headlines.

TOPICS:
*analysis: the current state of 3D animation technology
*forecast: the future of 3D technology
*BIG NEWS: hear how Alias|Wavefront is about to shake up the industry

WHEN:
Thursday March 28, 2002
11:30 a.m. EST

Stay tuned...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Apple is going to buy A|W and make the Mac a killer 3D platform!

This would certainly make sense after all the rumors about "Apple and a 3D company?" etc...

Apple recently bought Nothing Real, as well, who's Shake software is "the leading compositing software for feature film effects".

So, OS X, Final Cut, Shake. A|W's Maya would fit right in. Apple could revolutionise the industry with this kind of technology.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Good...

VERY good. If Apple buys A|W, it'll be the platform for graphics and movies, since it'll have FCP from Macromedia (is that right?), whatever it got from Nothing Real, and this Maya etc. from A|W. Very cool.:cool:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm not sure what to make of it...

It's written pretty strongly... lots of hype :)

They talk about 3d going into new marketplaces... for some reason I feel like it would be a consumerization of their products....

maya for dummies?

:) we'll see...

arn

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I would have thought that, if anyone was going to buy AW it would be Pixar. Maybe the whole Apple buying AW rumour came from someone that noticed talkes from Steve Jobs with AW and they interperated it as Apple buying AW instead of remembering Jobs' relationship with Pixar.

Then again, how would either company buying AW change the face of 3D????

Also, I would not see that AW would sell themselves or their product to Apple when they are such a huge contender in the maket place. Who sells up when they are on top????

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
where will this "BIG NEWS" be announced?
i don't believe it, but i guess we'll see tomorrow.

Mac DV

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2002
NOLA
I really hope this news is that apple is buying A|W. When they bought Final Cut From Macromedia no one knew what the hell final cut was, but if they distribute an apple title with lightwave at its base everyone will already know what to expect.

This is a very important market for the same reason final cut was so important. Because it puts apple in the position of making all the software AND hardware for proffesional level work. This is a very imporatant distinction, and it has brought Final Cut great success.

The average 3d designer now uses 3d studio max, which is of course, strictly PeePee based. But if apple could start cranking out a newer ver. of lightwave and the system to run it on, this would turn some heads.

However, the announcement that "this will change the 3d world forever" makes me think that wavefront is doing something on its own. Plus wavefront is really successful already therfore apple would probably have to shave off a considerable chunk of the 4 bil. in the bank to purchase it. And i'm sure all their "focus groups" and other reg. bussiness folks would advise against such a move in the current economic slump we r experiencing.

On the other hand, I can't imagine Jobs listening to any accountant when he thinks he's got something hot.

Fortunately unlike apple hardware updates...we will know what this is about tommorow. Could be a new plug in that turns crappy actors into laurence olivier. Now that would be innovative...

Mac DV

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Count the minutes, Count the seconds, Count on being blown away...

haha :) just thought I'd put in a little funny. Just remember:

This is beyond the rumors, Way beyond...

LoL...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by arn
I'm not sure what to make of it...

It's written pretty strongly... lots of hype :)
And who knows how to hype better than Apple?!?!?

Anyone remember the stuff they sent out before MWSF?

My only concern is that Maya on the Macs really isn't on par with the PC. Not to mention that it costs $$$, for the Mac its almost $6k. If you get Maya Complete on the PC its $17k. This is not for everyone.

i3D though, that might be interesting.

We'll all know tomorrow.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Mac DV
I really hope this news is that apple is buying A|W. When they bought Final Cut From Macromedia no one knew what the hell final cut was, but if they distribute an apple title with lightwave at its base everyone will already know what to expect.
Its not Lightwave, its Maya from Alias/Wavefront

Lightwave is from Newtek, different company.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
No one seems to realize that this would also have to include Digidesign in the deal as they are owned by A/W. This would be incredible because then Apple could own ProTools also, and completely own the professional sound recording indutry.

I am praying for this to happen.

-Pete

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by ptrauber
No one seems to realize that this would also have to include Digidesign in the deal as they are owned by A/W. This would be incredible because then Apple could own ProTools also, and completely own the professional sound recording indutry.

I am praying for this to happen.

-Pete
I was not aware that A/W owned Digidesign. WOW! now this is getting to be too good to be true. Maya by itself is so powerful, im in awe every time I use it. And ProTools, now thats a quality program. I love that, its so easy if you have a good system for it. Imagine if Apple owned it and then it was able to be used on cxheaper systems without add ons....not to mention a version for OSX. And iMusic app. for the consumers.....imagine the press....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by teabgs
I was not aware that A/W owned Digidesign.
There's no reason not to beleive that Digidesign might sell A/W and not be bought out. But if it happens, talk about a coup!!

This would change the face of computing as we know it. I might need to start getting some cash together soon.

ThorPrime

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2001
way too good

Originally posted by teabgs
WOW! now this is getting to be too good to be true.
it was too good to be true when someone suggested apple buying Alias/Wavefront.
the truth is, it's not.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by irmongoose
you know what im thinking?

I think thst alias|wavefront is just going to release some absolutely fabulous new version of Maya.

Nothing to do with Apple. That's what i think.
Well, there isn't actually anything to suggest that Apple will have anything to do with it. Just Apple lovers hopes turned into a rumour. Sounds like something SpyMac would have sturred up

desmosedici

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2002
by the tone of the press release, sounds like iMaya. a consumer version of maya for $1000. and for pc only. or maybe a|w think cutting another thousand off the price of maya is revolutionary. does anyone know if sgi owns a|w or is it a|w owns sgi? if apple does buy a|w they get sgi as well.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Enlighten me here but I don't know what'd be so great about Apple buying out Maya. It's a limited market. At best, Apple could turn it into a nice little niche app that generates some cash. But I don't see much potential for turning it into a consumer app like Apple did with FCP and iMovie. I want killer consumer apps and added market share.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Re: confused maybe...

Originally posted by 3rdpath
digidesign is owned by avid and avid has no tie-in to alias/wavefront.
My apologies...I confused the two companies. You should have heard my hand hit my forehead a second ago. <doh!>

-Pete

Definetly wishful thinking.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
This is a total guess, but my mutant press release sense is telling me that they're going to slash the price of professional-grade Maya to a few grand, and release a consumer/small-organization version at $999 or so. Newtek just recently lopped about 40% off the price of Lightwave, I believe. This may be the new trend.

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by dongmin
Enlighten me here but I don't know what'd be so great about Apple buying out Maya. It's a limited market. At best, Apple could turn it into a nice little niche app that generates some cash. But I don't see much potential for turning it into a consumer app like Apple did with FCP and iMovie. I want killer consumer apps and added market share.
Apple is a hardware company first and foremost. The good thing here is that software solutionns for 3D are the graphics fad now. If Apple has control of A|W's 3D aps they can make the mac versions so awsome (or the pc versions so bad) that EVERY pro graphics person has to buy a mac.