Alien Abduction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ibookg409, Feb 8, 2017.

1. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Hello All,

I think we need a break from Trump bashing and politics in general. So I thought we'd start a thread on something somewhat religious related, but not really.

Alien Abduction/the existance of aliens.

I'm a pretty religious guy, but am not opposed to the possibility of Aliens existing in the universe. I don't think the existence of aliens somehow disproves the existence of God. I personally do not think Aliens are visiting Earth but to be honest I find the "greys' to be quite scary and have had several dreams about being taken in the middle of the night.

What say you on this topic? Do they exist? Are they visiting?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I think it would be myopic to assume that Earth is the only planet that contains life.

I have no idea if aliens have visited earth - and ignoring all the media that has existed about aliens, it would be hard to prove one way or the other. It's entirely possible that other life forms exist in different dimensions or are not visible to the human eye or appear in forms we would never recognize.

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

As someone who has researched this topic and have tried to read just about everything I can get my hands on over the last 15 years, I'm glad for this thread.

Any and all serious questions welcomed!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    The main issue I am finding as of late is the amount of disinformation especially on sites like YouTube.

4. 5684697 Suspended

I'd rather talk about the chances of Trump abolishing the Designated Hitter.

Aliens may exist, but we will never visit them or vice versa, because physics.

5. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I don't even know how other dimensions work. I imagine that on this plane or this dimension that there are other life forms very far away. I think (and hope) that they aren't visiting us and taking us. The fact that there has been no hard evidence makes me feel that they do not exist.

For a while I thought that perhaps these aliens were demons messing with people. These days I'm not so sure.

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

You are only going by our physics and what you have been taught. Space, time and gravity makes travel very possible. We are jst kept in the dark for various reasons. If you would like I could elaborate on those reasons?
    What most of the public is looking for is "full disclosure". And that will never happen. Again for the same various reasons.

7. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I'd hear those reasons.

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Could be the lack of "full disclosure" is the aliens themselves - think the Prime Directive on Star Trek. Could be other reasons too. I just hope we can have a polite conversation on this thread please. I myself am a sceptic on many things including other sceptics but am willing to listen.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Of all the interesting philosophy questions related to extraterrestrial life, the "are they visiting us?" is the most boring.

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

My question is "why would they visit us?"

11. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

12. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Do you think high ranking military officials are in contact with life outside earth?

Odd question, but a friend of a friend worked at several different air force bases and has seen UFOs (I would assume this guy is familiar with different type of air crafts so calling it a UFO from a military background is a big deal). When he asked about it they were really hush-hush on the situation. I mean, it could have been top secret R&D work, but also all these odd light sightings make me question if the government is just keeping us in the dark to prevent chaos.

13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Well for one our dependency on petroleum is one major reason we will never get to see special technology the government has. There is no doubt they have some kind of anti gravity propulsion systems that allow humans to freely and quickly travel in space. But it would be like opening Pandora's box. Any type of exotic technology that would clearly make humanity better would and has been kept from us.

I should be honest and say I'm not a gung ho alien nut lol,in fact I am very critical of some of the major speakers in the field. I have my doubts and yes question everything I read and watch. If you really dive deep into the 1940s and 50s and the relationship between alien and the government there is a wealth of info in that time period. I really could go on and on but then I would have to bring up the nazis and always feel funny doing so.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you ever see the Taken mini-series?

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

One of the odd things about "aliens" is that we're waiting for the government to give disclosure which is completely counter intuitive. Waiting for a corrupt institution to tell us the truth is what doesn't work. There's too much going on to think we aren't visited or if you want to say, abducted.

To me it's similar to how some of the natives couldn't see Columbus' ships because they had never seen them before. Or how our ancestors couldn't describe the colour blue for the longest time, so they couldn't perceive certain things that were right in front of their face. Movies depict aliens arriving in flying saucers or have weird heads and eyes but if the truth is something different than that, we wouldn't be able to see what's right in front of us.

16. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

Then please pose a less boring question instead of simply criticizing.
    If the government had such evidence don't you think it would have been leaked by now? Nothing stays secret for long.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I find the term "alien" to be overly limiting, frankly. By itself, it implies a whole lot: that aliens are individuals like us, and that they have the same goals and aspirations of visiting other planets like us. It dismisses the idea that aliens could be much larger or much smaller, much faster or much slower, than us.

Before defining "alien," I think you have to define "life." Is conscious thought necessary? How do we know our thought is conscious? Is self-awareness necessary? How do we know we are self-aware? If something has a lifetime of 10 million earth years and it is 1 million light years away, how can we ever observe it having self-awareness or conscious thought? Who is to say that a galaxy growing, expanding, burning, collapsing, and exploding, isn't a life in of itself?

18. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Curiosity, the same reason we explore ourselves. Though I don't believe we are or have been visited.

19. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

Before defining "alien," I think you have to define "life."

I think life is defined by the ability to replicate yourself.

Is conscious thought necessary?

No

How do we know our thought is conscious?

I think the very fact that you had this thought is proof that you are conscious.

Is self-awareness necessary?

Not for the definition of life.

How do we know we are self-aware?

Same answer as above.

Who is to say that a galaxy growing, expanding, burning, collapsing, and exploding, isn't a life in of itself?

This is interesting. Although I wouldn't define the the galaxy as being alive no more than I would define fire as being alive. Even though fire breaths (in a sense) and can replicate itself it doesn't think or make choices.
    [/QUOTE]
    It'll come back to you when you least expect it.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Oh yeah loved it. Saw it a while back.

And shoot I constructed and made a pretty long post but it's gone lol don't know where it went

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

We define life in terms of aliens exactly how we define life that's found on this planet, all forms of it. That doesn't mean there are other forms that we don't know about or can even comprehend but as it stands for now, we can only use our own examples of what life is. As for aliens, any life would count, that includes plants, bacteria, germs, excetera. It doesn't have to have a consciousness for us to proclaim alien life exists.

What we need to be careful about is contaminating our own solar system with life that came from Earth. We know some forms of bacteria and such can survive space itself. For all we know, we could have already contaminated Mars and wouldn't even know it. One day we may find it, thinking it's truly alien life to only fool ourselves.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Hasn't it been leaked many times over already? People still want a man at the white house on a podium making it "official".

23. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

I believe those said aliens in "encounters" that could be considered legit are in fact demons of the lowest spiritual realms and probably full-time servants of satan. Just look at the appearance ascribed to them. They look like starved creatures eager to suck us dry. If aliens do exist, and this is the kind of thing no one now can either affirm or deny, I think they are very unlikely to be humanoid in shape.

24. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I for one hope we aren't alone in this universe, it might mean there's something better than us out there and especially something that makes more sense than our petty struggles

25. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

We are very petty and destructive