All-aluminum cases and GPS issues w new antenna of iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bob-le-roque, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bob-le-roque macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a specific question I was hoping to sort out...

I was wondering if anyone has an Element Vapor Pro (or any other all-aluminium case) and an iPhone 4S? I have a Vapor Pro Stealth on an iPhone 4, and whilst I have no appreciable GSM/UMTS signal loss, my GPS goes completely screwy with the case on. This is despite Element going on about the integrated RF bridge preventing such problems in their Pro line :mad:. From what I hear, the Vapor Comp model has no such issues, due to one side being polycarbonate.

Now, we all know that the ip4S makes some antenna improvements over the ip4, which may mean that it is not adversely affected by all-aluminium cases. Given that the 4S is supposed to move the GPS antenna to the back of the handset, and also employ antenna diversity throughout the rim, I am guessing that all-aluminium cases such as the Vapor Pro should not adversely effect the GPS function of a 4S in the way they do in the 4?? :confused:

Can anyone who is using a case like the Vapor Pro (not Comp) and an ip4S (not 4) together please either confirm or refute whether this hypothesis holds true in real life??

Thank you all in advance... :D

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Vapor Pro Stealth here, 4S and don't have any issues with my GPS App of choice [Tomtom USA]. Wifi and 3G data speeds also all normal / standard.

Dunno what else to tell you :\

3. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

Do you use the supplied matte carbon fiber back with yours? Wondering if that causes any issues with the 4S.

4. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Yup yup. Though I will admit, it seems to eat up about -5dB, it makes no real difference in speed or in bars [signal bars :p]. GPS remains unaffected.

I'm soon going to use a LuckyLabs back though just for the texture... I keep flipping between the two but that's a totally irrelevant issue. lol