All-American Basketball Alliance: A whites-only basketball league

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Jan 20, 2010.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I found this interesting, wanted to know what others thought.

Link

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How are you going to tell which team each player is on if they're all wearing white robes and hoods?

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sounds like a pretty boring league to watch..

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And they say there's no racism in the US anymore. :rolleyes: Disgusting.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are they taking public money, or using public facilities for less than market rate? If not, I won't object; even if I do find it to be steeped in nothing more than thinly-veiled racism.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ain't that the truth. Basketball sucks.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If they start this, then can we get an all-black hockey league to balance it out?

11. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Agreed, but they are still going to catch a lot of crap for it, I'm sure.

Can I get an Amen?! ;)

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think we can close the thread ... no further discussion needed

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. :) There really isn't much more to say.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This thing is doomed to fail, thankfully.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good. People are just as free to express their disgust with this idea (and I would encourage them to do so) as the AABA is to organize in this fashion.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Sigh.

My idealistic side thinks that all forms of discrimination should be legal in private industry.

My realistic side knows this would end up hurting a lot of people.

My idealistic side thinks that these companies that discriminate based on trivial things such as skin color would eventually be weeded out and lose talent and jobs to those companies that hired the best and the brightest, regardless of race, gender, or sexual preference.

My realistic side fears the day when my idealistic side wins. Because my realistic side will take no joy in laughing at my idealistic side when companies start denying benefits and jobs to people because it somehow positively affects their bottom line.

I think I lean toward my realistic side.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know. I'm kind of curious. It sounds like they don't have any teams. What's the line on whether or not they find some sucker to pay $10k to become a "franchisee?"

Joking aside, Guy Smiley does bring up one interesting point. The NBA is turning into the And 1 tour, and is being accompanied by a loss of fundamental skills (save the almighty Spurs). That loss of skills is tragic, but no more so than the loss of proper wrap-up tackling in the NFL or good hitting technique in baseball.

Of course, when I want to watch fundamentals in sports, I have a D3 college 5 minutes away and a few good high schools 3 minutes away.

19. Queso macrumors G4

All-American Basketcase Alliance more like it.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

nah, it's not thinly-veiled at all.

Assuming it is not some sort of prank and that it manages to stay legal for a while, i really don't think something like this is going to fly, even in the south. No player of any skill would want to be associated with this, and no one of any brain would pay money to watch a sub-high school basketball game.
    at most they can run exhibition games at KKK or aryan nation 'events'.

am i missing something here? who is Guy Smiley?

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So is the implication then that a team of all-white players will be more fundamentally sound?

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's not veiled at all, but I tend to agree with you. Is this constitutional? They are denying employment based on race.

Coming from a bunch of no-good baseball fans? It's alright, you can stick to a league destroyed by steroids and filled with "athletes" who constantly suffer pulled muscles and strained hamstrings running the 90 feet to first base.

Hey hey hey, speak for yourself. I'm 5'8.5" and can grab rim. :D

I actually think that's probably true. Without trying to be controversial, the black guys I play basketball with are quite a bit more athletic than the white guys. That's not to say there are no athletic white guys or awkward black guys, but it seems to be true more times than not.

Most of the white players you see in the NBA are known for their fundamentals, whether that be a pure shooting form that is repeatable or careful passing and smart play. The monster dunkers and most athletic people in the league? Not the white guys. I have no problem with this though. Sports are a pure form of meritocracy and if it happens to be that the sport I love is played better by black people than white people, I'm completely fine with that.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There are ways around the law. Organize as a private club is the most common, AFAIK. Absent any knowledge of illegal activity, gov't can't -- and shouldn't -- have a say over who's in a private club.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

because if somebody doesn't like basketball he has to like baseball right ?
    the only good thing to baseball is that we played it mixed in school (just like volleyball)
    basketball only means/meant less time soccer, indoor field hockey, table tennis, badminton, etc. being played

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

A habit I've picked up over the last couple of years since I've had our first watching Sesame Street. Generic term I use in place of the pronoun "he." In this case I was referring to the guy that formed the league.

Badandy addresses the likelihood of that, but I was commenting on Guy's assertion that there are more than a few folks that long for the days of fundamentally sound basketball, when players were more focused on getting the team a win than their own highlight reel on SC - a problem that has trickled down from the NBA to major college and even major HS athletics. The argument made by the owner of the league is that the league would focus on those fundamentals.