All-American Muslim

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Nov 13, 2011.

1. likemyorbs, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Did anyone else just watch this show? It premiered tonight on TLC. The show was created to change people's preconceptions about american muslims and follows a few Muslim families in Dearborn, Michigan, which is the largest arab community in the world outside the middle east. In some way, for me, it did. But a lot of stuff on the show just reenforced the stereotypes. Some of the men on the show made some very misogynistic remarks, one lady on the show was a business woman who wanted to open a club, but her male business partner says a woman would not be able to run a club. By the way, this woman was an absolutely GORGEOUS blond bombshell, and she was complaining that many members of the community tell her she's not muslim enough. Another lady also admitted that most Muslim men are unwilling to take an equal role in raising kids and do things like wake up to feed and change the baby. Another thing that bothered me was one of the women was getting married to a guy who was of Irish Catholic ancestry. She made him convert to Islam to marry her, but it was so wrong. He converted for the wrong reason, not because he actually wanted to, apparently they will be going deeper into that in next week's episode.

Anyway, it's a really good show, and in a lot of ways these people are as American as anyone else, but sometimes their arabic roots really show, and not in a good way. I have mixed feelings. Discuss :)

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I watched it and thought it was pretty good and will watch future episodes. But the whole conversion thing bothered me a bit too. At the end of the day, whether you kneel down in a church or bend over in a mosque, you're still praying to the same nonexistent invisible man in the sky.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And it must be a tenuous hold on them, that they are required to pray 5 times a day.

How can this not be invasive in their lives??

IMO, their "God" requires too much of them.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How nice, TLC will try to do to Muslims what they've done for little people and women whose vaginas are clown cars. :rolleyes:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I saw a commercial for this, apparently the clown car vagina lady and her 20 thousand kids are going to England. That's right, they've had so many damn kids they don't have any room left in the US for them and have to annex foreign land.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't watch a lot of reality tv and see no need to watch this either.

7. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

You mean the 25 kids and counting show? I feel bad for the people that have to witness this sheltered family in England....

8. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I caught about 10 minutes of that 30-kids-and-stupid show. They talked with a street performer in England and asked about his faith background, he said he didn't believe in god. Boy the dad started preaching to the guy, saying god had a plan for him, it was pathetic.

Does anyone see the irony in that religious freak show family... They are OK being on TV yet they don't let their kids watch TV... Just wait until they get exposed to reality later in life... Honestly I feel bad for all those brainwashed kids.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah that's the one. I call her the 3C lady - Clown Car **** lady.

Yeah, those kids are going to be pretty screwed up when they get older.

10. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, they're not allowed to dance. Weirdos.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now look at what you have created!!! :mad:

:p

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I didn't watch the show but immigrant reality isn't pretty. It's a constant juggling act with the 'old' traditions and the new realities. Also, some of those traditions are manufactured or imagined as a lot more important than they really are.

The first generation exults in the freedoms, works hard and tries to instill in their kids the importance of the old country.

The second generation sort of becomes American and struggles with their parent's totally unreal expectations and yet feels guilty when they don't live up to those expectations.

The third generation is spoiled by the grandparents and the parents are determined that their kids will be American, not some messy hybrid.

Once the original immigrants die off, the ties to the old country are diminished and the oftentimes extended family ties begin to fray.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

To read the OP before posting? I could be wrong.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

To educate people who think like this:

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Nice to see you took the time to bring this up, your life must be awesome.

The show wont change my perspective on them though, you have to be careful

17. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I live in a highly muslim area near Chicago.

They're actually very good neighbors and I'm close friends with one family.

My friends are not the "hardcore" type with burkhas and no music allowed.
    They don't drink alcohol or eat pork though and they do the whole 5 times a day praying thing.

So long as they don't trouble others with their beliefs I'm OK with it.

On the plus side, they follow our laws, have empathy for others, don't expect handouts, absolutely won't sue people and are generally great citizens.

All-American, even! Their kids are just like any other American kid for better or worse, though on the well-mannered side and without the booze.

Personally, I feel that it's awfully conceited of them to think that their imaginary sky god wants to hear from them five times a day... Don't they think that an omnipotent deity either has better things to do than listen to a billion people pestering him/her/it several times a day? Also, if such a deity really did care about their every thought, wouldn't this deity, being omnipotent and omniscient, already know what they were thinking even before they think it?

But that's just me. I'm one of those annoying heretical, unbelieving Atheists.

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

To make money for the BBC? Pretty much the same point as nearly all TV shows.

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

That's what you gathered from this? How shallow. I feel sorry for you.

----------

You aren't paying attention if you believe this. Muslim groups have been going around the US, filing lawsuits against churches, claiming that their sunday church bells that they ring are "offensive" to them and that it violates their rights. In some instances, radical left-wing judges are even ruling in their favor, forcing the churches to stop ringing their bell. This is just one small example. I count several muslims amongst my friends, so don't paint me as some kind of extremist, but don't stick your head in the sand either. Believe it or not there are islamic legal groups in the us whose sole mission is to go on the offensive and declare "legal jihad" against as many christian and jewish groups as they can get their hands on.

it's a well documented phenomenon.

http://www.henryjacksonsociety.org/stories.asp?id=899

20. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Can you point me to that particular story? Because that would be quite upsetting, but i've never heard of it.
    Yeah, and i'm no racist because i have several colored friends...

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This "friend" of mine way back when dated a Fundamentalist Christian. He proposed but she said she would only marry a born-again Christian....

Needless to say, he "saw the Light"... :eek:

:rolleyes:

22. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's horrible. It pisses me off when people do that. No one should ever convert to a religion for marriage, they should only convert when they wholeheartedly believe in it, which is very rare when people convert before a wedding.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Some news about this show today...

Looks like Lowe's has bowed to the pressure of the everything-phobic Florida Family Association and pulled their advertising from the show.

Not good Lowe's, not good.

Lowe's Pulls Ads From All-American Muslim.

24. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's outrageous. Good think i prefer home depot. But wtf?

Although i must say, if that show is trying to change the public perception of american muslims, they're doing a pretty crappy job. The level of misogyny shown by the muslims portrayed on the show is astonishing.

----------

On a side note, i caught pink floyd making anti-Islamic comments on yahoo news stories under the name "pink floyd fan". I guess that's life after macrumors....

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

"All-American Muslim is propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda’s clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values," it said."

Sorry but this group is more of a danger to America then any normal Muslim. What are these traditional values? hate others that are not like us? judge all on the basis of a few?