All Apple stores in NYC sold out of iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exinor, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Exinor macrumors member

Just letting people know for informational purposes. I called all four of them.

No iPhone 4s in stock... just "priority lists"

2. mets1125 macrumors regular

I know this sucks... I am on the list but they dont know when phones are going to come in....

3. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

can u get in on a priority list for a white model..or only black...thanks

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

5. Built macrumors 68020

Pretty good for a phone that's a piece of junk, according to so many on here.

Personally, I love mine...have no issues...and hope you guys get one soon. The best iPhone yet.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

You could have gone on launch day at got one in the evening.

The SoHo store was not checking reservations on the reservation line.

I had a reservation at the SoHo store. I arrived at about 6PM to wait on the reservation line which was two blocks long. I didn't come with the intention to buy an iPhone but to sell my reservation to a guy on craigslist. The guy showed up gave me the money and we waited on line, with the intention that I would go in there with him to transfer my reservation to him (I had called the store a few times to confirm that this was possible). Halfway down the line I pulled over one of the Apple employees and confirmed again that I would be able to transfer the reservation. She kind of gave me this dumb look, then smiled and said "Don't worry if your friend is on line he will get a phone. We haven't checked reservations at all. Everyone on this line will get a phone, don't worry." What the hell? So whatever, we continued to wait in line. As we got down towards the door we saw another line for non-reserves that were waiting in case there were still iPhones left at the end of the night. Every single one of these people got to buy a phone that night. My "friend" got to buy a phone and as I went in there with him I could have bought one too. They never checked anybodies reservation. People who reserved a 16GB could have bought a 32GB and vice versa. People without a reservation could have waited on the reservation line and got a phone.

Seems that they had a lot of unit and just stopped regular sale at some time during the day. I guess they just kept enough units to roughly satisfy the reservations with probably a lot to spare. The next day all they had to do was open the doors again, saying that these were units that weren't picked up by people and easily sell the rest.

Kind of disappointed how that was handled. Next time I will try to just wait on line and see if I can get one. I remember for the iPad launch they were checking reservations. Although maybe they did that in the beginning for the iPhone 4 as well and just stopped checking as the day went one.